Menu

What font to teach a left handed student?

coastalfam

I started with HWT for my leftie, but a lot of the add-on components were expensive and unnecessary. I think the main thing is making sure the child can see the model text from above instead of his hand covering the model as he writes. After I finished the HWT K book, I moved on to Simply Charlotte Mason copy work (and their handwriting instruction level is friendly to lefties, as is the copy work pages).

As far as font, I am having him do a block style. Some of HWT print looks funny to me.

Aside from the need to be able to see what you're copying - which means that the example text must either be above the writing page or to the right of it - the only thing I can think of for lefty handwriting is that the page needs to match the slant of the arm. This means lefties generally slant "backwards". This can be off-putting to read, so I personally use a vertical handwriting if I must write in script. But this is not universal, and different lefthanders will give you different opinions, I'm sure.

I started with HWT for my leftie, but a lot of the add-on components were expensive and unnecessary. I think the main thing is making sure the child can see the model text from above instead of his hand covering the model as he writes. After I finished the HWT K book, I moved on to Simply Charlotte Mason copy work (and their handwriting instruction level is friendly to lefties, as is the copy work pages).

As far as font, I am having him do a block style. Some of HWT print looks funny to me.

May I ask what HWT is?

I've usually used the handwriting instructions in Spalding's Writing Road to Reading with my dyslexic lefties. Gifted lefties have more options, than my LD students.

Early signs of dyslexia in your lefties? I've got concerns with this one, and a family history to boot.

Dyslexia, in my city, seems to be a catch-all phrase to explain anyone not reading and writing at a competitive level. Basically dyslexia can mean non-gifted.

But, non-gifted leftie means not using a hand that requires an extreme tilt of the paper. Some gifted kiddos can read and write upside down, but I don't expect the majority of kids to be able to do that.

Some children, especially boys, don't read until 8. That is NORMAL and many of these late bloomers do NOT read earlier with OG curriculum. Nonreading 7 year old does not mean an OG curriculum is required.

There is no such thing as one-size fits all curricula. But if I have to pick what is least likely to fail with non-gifted kids and busy untrained instructor, Alpha-phonics and Spalding handwriting are a good first try.

Alpha-Phonics is now a free download. Libraries can often get you a copy of WRTR or you can find stuff online.

Early signs of dyslexia in your lefties? I've got concerns with this one, and a family history to boot.

This is a link to dyslexia warning signs, including in young kids.

I used Handwriting Without Tears, and eventually (5th grade) switched to Getty Dubay.

I dislike the look of the Handwriting Without Tears. I wish I had taught with Getty Dubay all along. It looks more mature and neat, but it's also, like Handwriting W/Out Tears, an up and down rather than slanted font.

Lefties do a few different things, like cross t's right to left, naturally. That just happens without specific teaching. I didn't find teaching handwriting to be any more difficult with him than his right handed brother.

Edited by sbgrace

Dyslexia, in my city, seems to be a catch-all phrase to explain anyone not reading and writing at a competitive level. Basically dyslexia can mean non-gifted.

But, non-gifted leftie means not using a hand that requires an extreme tilt of the paper. Some gifted kiddos can read and write upside down, but I don't expect the majority of kids to be able to do that.

Some children, especially boys, don't read until 8. That is NORMAL and many of these late bloomers do NOT read earlier with OG curriculum. Nonreading 7 year old does not mean an OG curriculum is required.

There is no such thing as one-size fits all curricula. But if I have to pick what is least likely to fail with non-gifted kids and busy untrained instructor, Alpha-phonics and Spalding handwriting are a good first try.

Alpha-Phonics is now a free download. Libraries can often get you a copy of WRTR or you can find stuff online.

Okay, just curious. My city sounds more laid back than yours. :) I think we are pretty non-gifted, regular folks in this household, but we're feeling pretty alright about that, thankfully. My oldest has Down syndrome, so I'm no stranger to waiting for kids to be developmentally ready for learning skills before we sweat over it. We've got very strong family histories of dyslexia and ADHD on both side of our family, and this little guy definitely has some interesting things going on. Just waiting for it all to come out in the wash.