Menu

Where would you place your 9th grader in IEW (some experience)?

My daughter is finishing up 8th grade.  We completed WWS 1 in 6-7th grade, IEW Student Intensive B first semester 8th grade, and now we are on the 8th week of WWS 2.   I've been on the IEW site, trying to figure where I would place her for 9th grade, but I'm not sure.  

I really like the idea of Windows to the World, but it looks like she should have Student Intensive C or Elegant Essay before that....

Thank you for any input.

My dd is doing Windows to the World in 8th with her older brother. It's more literary analysis, not technical writing skills. I plan to have her start Student Writing Intensive Level C in 9th then work through Continuation in 10th.

• Like 1

She doesn't need C before Windows. Particularly b/c she has some essay (intro and conclusions) work, including essay work in lit analysis through WWS 1 and 2. She will be fine in Windows, if that's what you want to do (I love it!)

Ds is doing Intensive C this year. He did Windows last year with no problem. (He had had intensive B, Lost Tools of Writing and some WWS1).

My dd is doing Windows to the World in 8th with her older brother. It's more literary analysis, not technical writing skills. I plan to have her start Student Writing Intensive Level C in 9th then work through Continuation in 10th.

Thank you so much for your input.  Windows is only a 1/2 credit though, right?  So, maybe put Elegant Essay with it?

She doesn't need C before Windows. Particularly b/c she has some essay (intro and conclusions) work, including essay work in lit analysis through WWS 1 and 2. She will be fine in Windows, if that's what you want to do (I love it!)

Ds is doing Intensive C this year. He did Windows last year with no problem. (He had had intensive B, Lost Tools of Writing and some WWS1).

Thanks so much! Sounds like a plan!

Edited by foofoobunny

Just wanted to clarify if you have EVER done Student Writing Intensive, you wouldn't do it again. So if you did SWI-A then your next step would normally be Student Writing Intensive Continuation Course (SICC)-A. Since you skipped some years they might say SICC-C would be an option.   Otherwise, I agree with the pp about doing Windows to the World with Elegant Essay or there is also a Writing Research Papers book. 

They also have a new Narnia book coming out this summer that looks pretty cool.  http://iew.com/search/site/narnia

• Like 1

Just wanted to clarify if you have EVER done Student Writing Intensive, you wouldn't do it again. So if you did SWI-A then your next step would normally be Student Writing Intensive Continuation Course (SICC)-A. Since you skipped some years they might say SICC-C would be an option.   Otherwise, I agree with the pp about doing Windows to the World with Elegant Essay or there is also a Writing Research Papers book. 

They also have a new Narnia book coming out this summer that looks pretty cool.  http://iew.com/search/site/narnia

Thank you for clarifying.  We already did Intensive so we would do Continuation.  

In our co-op all 9th graders start with The Elegant Essay (first semester) and then end with Windows to the World (second semester).

Thank you.  I like this idea for 9th grade.  That would satisfy the English 1 credit, correct?

Edited by foofoobunny

Thank you for clarifying.  We already did Intensive so we would do Continuation.  

Thank you.  I like this idea for 9th grade.  That would satisfy the English 1 credit, correct?

Some people like to add vocabulary and grammar. Does your 9th grader still need  grammar? The lady who teaches at our co-op adds "Vocabulary from Classical Roots Level C" and "The Blue Book of Grammar, with Online component."

Edited by StillStanding

Some people like to add vocabulary and grammar. Does your 9th grader still need with grammar? The lady who teaches at our co-op adds "Vocabulary from Classical Roots Level C" and "The Blue Book of Grammar, with Online component."

She is finishing up Analytical Grammar this year (8th).  After that, I think we are done.  Maybe an occasional review...