Menu

Volunteer Fashion Dilemma

TechWife

Help me, Hive! I have checked numerous web sites and can't find a decent blouse or two. I'm adding volunteer hours at the hospital soon, which means I will be there on two different days of the week. Right now I have one blouse that I can wear and I need at least one more. For variety, two more would be great. 

The parameters: 

Must have short sleeves (I get really hot walking around)

Must coordinate with hospital issued volunteer vest (like this but dark grey) 

Must coordinate with these black pants that I already own (black is required)

Must coordinate with these work shoes that I already own (rubber soled shoes required) 

Should be business casual to business wear

It cannot be: 

grey, black or red (those colors are worn by different hospital employees, depending on position)

sleeveless or tank top

t-shirt

denim

transparent

a polo shirt 

I prefer: 

not to tuck my blouse with these slacks (hip length blouses are fine as long as my tummy doesn't show when I raise my arms)

not white (so I don't look like I work in the cafeteria - serious business when someone wants their lunch!)

Help! 

Edited by TechWife

I really like the first one! It's 100% polyester - do you think it would be hot to wear? 

The solid color look like it might work. The prints just aren't my kind of prints, KWIM. 

Over the past few years I've had a hard time finding decent cotton clothing - there is so much polyester out there. I worry that I would be really hot in a polyester top. What do you think? 

The hospital is very warm and my job requires that I do a lot of walking. 

• Like 1

The solid color look like it might work. The prints just aren't my kind of prints, KWIM.

Over the past few years I've had a hard time finding decent cotton clothing - there is so much polyester out there. I worry that I would be really hot in a polyester top. What do you think?

The hospital is very warm and my job requires that I do a lot of walking.

I kind of like polyester. I know it sounds grandma-ish, but I think the newer blends look nice and wear well. They don't wrinkle and they don't make me sweat. I don't think it feels hot - to me a snug t-shirt feels hot, but a flowy shirt feels cool. I am a sweaty person, and cotton will show it, but not poly! A nice, loose fitting blouse will be airy and look more professional than a t-shirt.

I agree about the prints! Stick with solid colors!

Your volunteer job sounds really nice. Good luck!

I agree. Synthetic fabrics make me hot & feel weird & sweaty. I don't like them.

If you want the drape & lightness of a synthetic, but natural fabric, try silk or a silk/cotton blend.

Good luck! Hospital staff can seem closed, abrupt, or unfriendly, but can have hearts of gold once they know you and have developed trust in your competence. I am sure you will do a great job!

I've already been volunteering at this hospital for several months, I'm just adding hours and expanding to include an additional role. It's a really great hospital and volunteers are well respected part of the team and are treated professionally.  

• Like 2