Menu

How do you pay for Vision Therapy?

My 10yo needs it. It is causing problems in his reading.

It is $110 a session. The doctor wants to do 2 sessions per week for 10-15 weeks. $220 a week is more than half our income right now.

If he doesn't get it, I am afraid he will never be able to progress from where he is - he cannot write, he struggles to read, his comprehension is terrible (mostly because he misses words and whole lines), and he can't read for long without his eyes hurting him.

How do you do it? I would have to work an extra 20-30 hours per week outside of our business to pay for it. I already work 30-40 hours a week now.

We paid in installments. I want to say we gave them $200 up front and then paid $180 a week for 10 weeks. It cost us $2000 all-in-all, but, for us, it was worth it. Our reasoning was that, if it helps him and he's able to perform better at school and, therefore, increase the potential that he'd be able to go to college, get a job, etc., then it was worth it in the long run -- if that makes sense.

But it was hard - hard - hard to pay for it! So I can completely relate!! (We were also paying for private speech and occupational therapy for our youngest daughter at the same time --- so we really, really had to watch our purse strings for about 6 months)

In the end, my son's reading level increased 3 grade levels during the 10 weeks that he did VT...and the best thing of all was the boost it gave him in self-confidence. "I no longer feel stupid" was what he told us, on numerous occasions, both during and after VT.

My recommendation is to tell them that you want to give him VT, but that money is really tight for you and ask if they can be more flexible with the financial arrangement.

Well, a few weeks ago I would have *never* thought of this, but....

The director of therapy at our local hospital (who is also a homeschooling father in our homeschool group) has been looking into various organizations for funding for our boys' vision therapy.

Two places who have already said 'yes' to funding are the Lions Club and the Rotary Club.

Now, I have to say it was pretty easy on *me* because this man did all the legwork for us. And it isn't covering the entire cost, but is covering more than half (I have two sons who need VT).

Do you currently work with any therapy depts at your hospital? Perhaps someone there could help get the ball rolling if you wanted to look into funding.

Our VT is also willing to knock 10% off the bill for us, but again, because this man is doing the asking.

Another place we were told we could look for help with funding is Blind and Visual Services for our state (PA). Not sure what all that entails but I do know it meant a social worker or caseworker had to come to the house for assessments, which of course we'd like to avoid if possible.

HTH. :)

Well, a few weeks ago I would have *never* thought of this, but....

The director of therapy at our local hospital (who is also a homeschooling father in our homeschool group) has been looking into various organizations for funding for our boys' vision therapy.

Two places who have already said 'yes' to funding are the Lions Club and the Rotary Club.

Now, I have to say it was pretty easy on *me* because this man did all the legwork for us. And it isn't covering the entire cost, but is covering more than half (I have two sons who need VT).

Do you currently work with any therapy depts at your hospital? Perhaps someone there could help get the ball rolling if you wanted to look into funding.

Our VT is also willing to knock 10% off the bill for us, but again, because this man is doing the asking.

Another place we were told we could look for help with funding is Blind and Visual Services for our state (PA). Not sure what all that entails but I do know it meant a social worker or caseworker had to come to the house for assessments, which of course we'd like to avoid if possible.

HTH. :)

We are not doing anything as far as therapy goes. I wonder where I could start looking for funding. We cannot get credit.

Hmmm.... I wonder if you could speak to the director of therapy at your local hospital and ask if they have any ideas for how you could go about it.

Or perhaps Lions or Rotary or whatever take personal requests. ???

Maybe someone else will chime in who has an idea about all this stuff.

I hope you figure it out. My boys are 8 and 9 (almost 10) and they are much the same as yours. It feels like VT is the last 'grasp' for hope.

(((HUGS)))

Would they do a long-term payment plan with you without interest? We have paid off several hospital bills this way. They accepted a certain amount each month, no interest, until the bill was paid in full.

Do they offer any at-home VT programs that you implement yourself?

Some on this board have done that under the guidance of the VT dr. for a lot less $.

One option if you can access credit is the CareCredit program. No interest medical loans, basically...though the interest is high if you don't pay it back in the agreed amount of time. Ask at the VT office about it, and ask them to sign up for it if they don't already have it. It's a great service.

One option if you can access credit is the CareCredit program. No interest medical loans, basically...though the interest is high if you don't pay it back in the agreed amount of time. Ask at the VT office about it, and ask them to sign up for it if they don't already have it. It's a great service.

We couldn't qualify for credit and I don't really want to do it that way. I am going to ask tomorrow for any options they may know of.

This is why i haven't taken DD. I know she is going to need it, but there isn't even $50 a week in the budget for it - $200 isn't doable. It isn't a matter of making a sacrifice for it - well, i guess we don't have to eat - there just is NOT the money for it :(

Add to that we'd be paying $25 in gas for each visit. The 2 people that are closest to me do the Home Stuff - and that might be an option.... i'm not sure though.

All our extra money that we'd accumulated went to dental work for me - and we had to put that off a few months.

:grouphug: I'm encouraged by the Rotary and Lion's Club thing - i'm going keep that in mind.

I'm sure someone can link you to some basic exercises online. However, I'd also ask your VT for a computer program to use at home. Mine has one that's good for 99 uses...I don't remember how much it was, but it was under $200. They said they don't recommend it if you can afford VT, but they will if you just can't do it. See if your VT has something similar or can give you good homework assignments to supplement whatever you can afford.

Can someone link me to info on doing this at home?

The organization I was referred to on these boards is: http://www.covd.org/

I was able to e-mail the doctors in my area and make sure ahead of time they could take my insurance and would allow me to do the therapy at home with only periodic visits (BTW they wanted me in every 4 weeks and I generally went in every 6).

Hope you find a good solution!

Heather