Menu

AP pre-administration day

Hello seasoned AP exam takers,

Does anyone have experience with an AP pre-administration day at your local high school?  DS will be taking two exams there in May, and the AP coordinator said he needed to come for an AP pre-administration day a couple of weeks beforehand.  I have no idea what is involved, but they said it would be all day.  I am just curious what they are doing that will take all day.  I have asked them what they are going to be doing and what time we can expect them to be done, but they have not answered me.  I am just curious if others have had this experience.  If they are just getting the kids prepared so they know what to expect, I think that is great.  But I just cannot imagine what would take the whole day.  Any ideas?

Ours does a pre admin time - takes an hour (or one class period) where they go over the rules for AP testing - required materials, what calculators are allowed, ID requirements.

The sessions go on all day to accommodate all the AP classes, but students only attend with their class. Independent students like DD just go for one hour.

• Like 1

Last year's testing school had the outside kids come in after school hours for the 15 minutes it took to fill out the forms and go over the information.

This year's main school has all AP students, theirs and outsiders, sign up for half-hour time periods over the space of a week to do the pre-administration things.

OP, I cannot imagine your dd having to stay there all day :eek:

We haven't done it before, but will do it for the first time in a few weeks.  I was told it would take about a half-hour and would only involve filling out the "demographics" paperwork.  All test takers (ETA:  just in that school, not nationwide) do it at the same time.

Edited by Miss Mousie

I was caught off guard when we got a letter saying ds had to be there for the early session. I called the counselor and told her the time was difficult, but not impossible for us and asked if it was necessary. She let us come in at a different time and just went through it in her office with ds. It took about 15 min. 

Thanks, everyone!  I guess what they meant by "all day" was that the AP teachers do it in their classes all throughout the day.

That makes sense. You should ask if it would be possible for your ds to do all of his at once, perhaps with the AP coordinator or counselor (if that isn't the same person).

• Like 1