Menu

Anyone doing Classical Conversations at home alone? Is this even possible?

Stacy in NJ

It's absolutely possible... we did it last year. We're in a fabulous CC group this year and it's so much nicer to have the group support!

Last year, my girls just recited their weekly memory work on Friday evenings in front of their dad and me. This year, there's a little more pressure to know it cold since they recite it in front of their friends and their friends know it!

If you want to try it at home, I would recommend the Foundations Guide and the Cycle 3 audio memory CD. The songs really help a lot!

Good luck :)

We do it at home. It works so well. We don't do the fine art projects or the science experiments, but we do all of the memory work. It takes about 20 minutes each morning to go over the memory work. I have the kids watch the Power Point later in the day. Let me know if you need any more specifics.

Staci

Well... you COULD possibly start a CC program in New Jersey, and then in a few years (when my little girls are "school age"), it'll be up and running! :D Here's the CC page for how to start a group in your area.

http://www.classicalconversations.com/StartingaProgram.htm

No seriously, all self-interest aside, wouldn't it be GREAT if this program would come to New Jersey? There are many homeschoolers here (as I understand it), and the laws are so HS-friendly (again, as I understand it). This seems like the ideal state in which to start a CC program. Good luck with your studies!

It's absolutely possible... we did it last year. We're in a fabulous CC group this year and it's so much nicer to have the group support!

Last year, my girls just recited their weekly memory work on Friday evenings in front of their dad and me. This year, there's a little more pressure to know it cold since they recite it in front of their friends and their friends know it!

If you want to try it at home, I would recommend the Foundations Guide and the Cycle 3 audio memory CD. The songs really help a lot!

Good luck :)

Why cycle 3? I did wonder where we should start. My guys are 10 and 11. So, cycle 3 would be about right?

Well... you COULD possibly start a CC program in New Jersey, and then in a few years (when my little girls are "school age"), it'll be up and running! :D Here's the CC page for how to start a group in your area.

http://www.classicalconversations.com/StartingaProgram.htm

No seriously, all self-interest aside, wouldn't it be GREAT if this program would come to New Jersey? There are many homeschoolers here (as I understand it), and the laws are so HS-friendly (again, as I understand it). This seems like the ideal state in which to start a CC program. Good luck with your studies!

Sorry, Sahamamama, I'm just not the (community) organizer type.:tongue_smilie:

Stacy,

You know, now that you mention it, it wouldn't have to be cycle 3. CC follows a 3 year cycle or rotation for history & science. This year the entire CC community (across the U.S.) is on cycle 3 which focuses on American history and Human Anatomy/Chemistry.

At 10-11, if you started your boys next year with cycle 1 (ancients), they could go through all three complete cycles of CC memory work. It's entirely up to you. Since you already implement a lot of memory work in your day, I definitely think you'd be fine using CC on your own.

Most of the mom's I know of who attend a group do so because they want/need the accountability. I don't need the accountability, but I really enjoy the friendships with like-minded parents.

Hi Stacy -

This is my 4th year using CC memory work at home. In the first year, I did all of it, but since then I just pick and choose what I think is worthwhile. I simply give the kids a card with their memory work for the week and have them work on it each day. We chant it together before we do our Sonlight reading and then I have made cassette tapes for them to listen to in the car or while playing legos.

Lisa

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
Guest ccbcnj

Good News!!! CC is finally starting up in Bergen County, NJ this fall 2011. :001_smile: See the website http://www.ccbcnj.com for details on days, time, meeting place, director etc.

Enrollment is happening now, and the campus is already 1/2 full. They will be meeting in Teaneck.