Menu

Standardized test for 5th grader with dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia

Hello!  It has been a long time since I have been here.  I am back because this forum has always been a wealth of help and information.  My 5th grader has dyslexia, dysgraphia and dyscalculia.  I am thinking of giving him a standardized test at home.  We have never done one.  However he may attend a few more classes in middle school next year, and I know they would like to see one, and I would kind of like to know too.  However I am not sure which one to choose.  I am considering the Iowa test or the online Stanford 10.  Have any of you used these?  Any feedback about what would be best for a kid with multiple disabilities?  I would give him accommodations (reading the test except for the reading portion, unlimited time, breaks, etc).

Some background info:  He has been dual enrolled since 2nd grade, participating in specials and a few other classes at school.  He reads at grade level (though he can't sustain it for longer reading and uses audio books for that).  He is a behind in spelling, but is making good progress with Apples and Pears (we are on book B).  Math is a struggle.  We use Math U See and ST Math, and a calculator.  Math difficulties are made much worse by his severe dysgraphia.  He has done literally years of private OT for gross and fine motor skills, and still can't write numbers legibly.  For math at home, I scribe for him or he uses tech.  He is a pretty fluent typist and uses Dragon too for writing.

Thanks for any input.

Does he have an IEP?  It should say what his testing accommodations are.  If he doesn't have an IEP, seems like he's going to need that before fall.  If you wait until you enroll him, they could pull a stunt saying they want to watch him for a grading period first.

If you request the evals for an IEP, then they'll do their own testing.  If you're going to test him yourself, I'd go for the WJIII (Woodcock Johnson).

Edited by OhElizabeth

For the SAT-10, DS was given extra time, testing in a quiet room with an adult, and a basic 4 function calculator where allowed on one portion of the math.  I have read the SAT-10 test to a needy student.  I never scribed for an exam, but then we never had that need.  If you are administering the test at home, accommodate as you see fit.  The scores are for you anyways to see where your child measures.

Maybe see if you can get a friend to administer the test for you.  I have administered the SAT-10 and the experience was stressful for me.  I would not test my own child.

Edited by Heathermomster

I am looking at either the Iowa test or the Stanford 10.  Heathermomster, what about the Stanford 10 was stressful?  Or was it just testing in general?  OhElizabeth, do you suggest the Woodcock because it is shorter?  I would prefer to do one of the more traditional tests if we are going to do it.

He does not have an IEP, and I have no plans to pursue one.  I am not looking for the school to remediate any of his deficits - that ship sailed long ago!  I actually withdrew him from an IEP back in the day to homeschool.  He will continue doing core subjects at home but may attend middle school a bit more for their electives.  He does have a 504 plan.  

I do have friends who would gladly administer the test, however I worry about having someone else do the math test because of the scribing that is needed.

The students that I worked with were extremely slow and made careless errors. The testing was hard on me. I worked in a quiet room with one student for over 3 hours per day over a three day period.  We took breaks but there were several subject areas to cover and some tests were not completed.

DS did well on the SAT10.  He is 2e with 3 SLDs. The math portion was his hardest area. He didn't really require extra time beyond the math portions ETA: and the basic 4 function calculator helped a bunch.  SAT10 only allows the calculator for one portion of the test.

Edited by Heathermomster

I am looking at either the Iowa test or the Stanford 10.  Heathermomster, what about the Stanford 10 was stressful?  Or was it just testing in general?  OhElizabeth, do you suggest the Woodcock because it is shorter?  I would prefer to do one of the more traditional tests if we are going to do it.

He does not have an IEP, and I have no plans to pursue one.  I am not looking for the school to remediate any of his deficits - that ship sailed long ago!  I actually withdrew him from an IEP back in the day to homeschool.  He will continue doing core subjects at home but may attend middle school a bit more for their electives.  He does have a 504 plan.  

I do have friends who would gladly administer the test, however I worry about having someone else do the math test because of the scribing that is needed.

About math, how does he solve math problems anyways.   Has he used the MathMod app on the IPad using a stylus?  If he could solve the math problems using the MathMod app, that would seem like a good alternative.  

Who handles the SAT10?  I think it is BJU.  It is rather late now, but could you order a large print test and have him circle the answers on the test?  Does he struggle with filling in dots on a scantron test form?  I think you could administer the CAT at home if you must use standardized testing.

My ds did our state's required end of year test for public schoolers (which is online) one year which was a good experience--but that would depend on your state.

He did ITBS one year--5th in fact--with a certified proctor as required by our homeschool rules.  That was okay, not as good for him as the public school test, but he got through it and passed without having special accommodations.

I'd suggest getting prep materials practice tests for the two you are considering and seeing what you think would work better. For us the Stanford can only be taken with a private school that is a long way away, and goes on for days, so I've chosen to go with ITBS or Terra Nova because they would be done in just a few hours on a single day.  I only have him take what is required legally, so have not considered adding on extra tests at home. And our state rules do not allow for accommodations unless there is an IEP  currently in place. Of course if you are administering it yourself you can give whatever accommodations you want, but then I am not sure if the results you get will tell you all of what you want to know.  Actually I am not sure the test results tell all that much in any case, which is why I don't elect to do any beyond the required.

I think the IEP suggestion was mainly just for documentation to get him any accommodations he may need in his brick and mortar school classes or on standardized tests or other outsourced academics since you are handling the remediation yourself.  Reality is that your child may need some form of accommodations through even college.  Having some sort of documentation makes it easier to get those accommodations.  Since you do have a 504 maybe the IEP isn't even needed...

He could circle answers but could not handle a test bubble sheet.  Too many visual processing issues, even after VT.  A large print test is a good idea.   Though he would do better hearing the answers read to him, and then answering orally with me circling.  One of the reasons I was looking at the Stanford 10 is because of the online possibility.  He loves computers, coding, etc and any kind of tech.  I can order either of them for home use here, and either proctor myself or have someone else do it.  I believe I have until April 30th.  It doesn't sound like anyone thinks there is a huge difference between these 2 tests?

The 504 plan is sufficient for him to have accommodations for both the Stanford and the Iowa test - I read both of their guidelines last night.  I am surprised a state would have rules saying if a child gets acccomodations via a 504 plan those don't extend to standardized tests?  But then again, stranger things have occurred.  And incidentally, the law governing 504 plans (Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act) applies to postsecondary education, whereas the federal IDEA (governing IEPs) does not

Thanks all for the thoughts.  

• Like 1

Kittykitty, has he had an OT eval?  Have they checked for retained primitive reflexes?  Yes, the WJIII is shorter, gives actual grade levels, and is largely read aloud by the tester iirc.  Someone was suggesting it to me privately for ds to fulfill our state homeschool law requirements.  My dd did it a few years ago and it really was all that (speedy, less than 2 hours, not a lot of writing, mostly talking and saying your answer, etc.).  Immediate results too, and it's a test psychs like.

Yes, he has had several OT evals plus several years of private OT. 

I am feeling really wishy washy about this whole test stuff.  This is what has been going through my head - I've never given one, I don't absolutely have to, but t would be good to do it to get an idea of strong areas/areas to work on, and give him some gentle exposure to testing, but then again maybe I shouldn't put him through it.  Sigh!

He could circle answers but could not handle a test bubble sheet.  Too many visual processing issues, even after VT.  A large print test is a good idea.   Though he would do better hearing the answers read to him, and then answering orally with me circling.  One of the reasons I was looking at the Stanford 10 is because of the online possibility.  He loves computers, coding, etc and any kind of tech.  I can order either of them for home use here, and either proctor myself or have someone else do it.  I believe I have until April 30th.  It doesn't sound like anyone thinks there is a huge difference between these 2 tests?

The 504 plan is sufficient for him to have accommodations for both the Stanford and the Iowa test - I read both of their guidelines last night.  I am surprised a state would have rules saying if a child gets acccomodations via a 504 plan those don't extend to standardized tests?  But then again, stranger things have occurred.  And incidentally, the law governing 504 plans (Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act) applies to postsecondary education, whereas the federal IDEA (governing IEPs) does not

Thanks all for the thoughts.  

It does not say that someone getting 504 accommodations at a public school would not get those same accommodations for testing, but home school standardized testing in our state is not usually,via a public school .

A certified proctor administering a test in her own home is not expected to meet disability needs, I guess, just as she would not be required to have wheelchair ramps or other accessibility. Most of the proctors are women administering tests in their own homes in my experience. But even when it is a private school allowing home schoolers to join in end of year standardized testing, I don't think they have to meet home schoolers disability needs. I think the 504s here don't apply to private homes or private schools. Maybe that is violating the law. But I think that if home schoolers insisted that a private school meet their child's disability needs the private school would just stop offering testing to anyone but their own students.

Why do you think a standardized test will help you know what to work on more than what you know via observing your child and how he is doing day to day on assignments and tests on material he is using?

Yes, he has had several OT evals plus several years of private OT. 

I am feeling really wishy washy about this whole test stuff.  This is what has been going through my head - I've never given one, I don't absolutely have to, but t would be good to do it to get an idea of strong areas/areas to work on, and give him some gentle exposure to testing, but then again maybe I shouldn't put him through it.  Sigh!

You wanted to do one, so do it!  It isn't Putting him through it, like it's some horrible torture. I get that he's going to struggle, but if *you* give the test *you* control how that goes down. Make it fun, break it in chunks, do fun things afterward.  Testing is just a REALITY in our lives.  They're going to have to and they might as well start now.  It desensitizes them.  Make it your goal to have this experience just be fun, relaxing, anxiety-reducing.  Doesn't matter which test, though me I prefer short ones.  

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

You wanted to do one, so do it!  It isn't Putting him through it, like it's some horrible torture. I get that he's going to struggle, but if *you* give the test *you* control how that goes down. Make it fun, break it in chunks, do fun things afterward.  Testing is just a REALITY in our lives.  They're going to have to and they might as well start now.  It desensitizes them.  Make it your goal to have this experience just be fun, relaxing, anxiety-reducing.  Doesn't matter which test, though me I prefer short ones.  

Agree, just get a test you can administer yourself, break it up into smaller chunks, provide whatever accomodations you feel are necessary and let him take the test.  Keep it upbeat.

At DD's school, when they took standardized tests, they had fun breaks where all the kids got to try new foods and play some board games.  They tried to keep the atmosphere lighter and more relaxed instead of stressful and scary.  (Unfortunately, not all teachers followed that philosophy but most did).