Menu

Saw "10 Cloverfield Lane" tonight.

PrincessMommy

I showed my son the original Cloverfield, but I'll probably preview this one. I read that it's not a sequel, but is in the "spirit" of the first movie: has the same feel to it. I'm looking forward to seeing it since I loved the style of Cloverfield.

I showed my son the original Cloverfield, but I'll probably preview this one. I read that it's not a sequel, but is in the "spirit" of the first movie: has the same feel to it. I'm looking forward to seeing it since I loved the style of Cloverfield.

FWIW, I never saw the first Cloverfield and didn't even realize it was part of the franchise until I saw a spoiler earlier this week.  So, I can't really say how much it feels like the first one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally saw it tonight and I loved it.

I let my 13 year old watch the first one, but I will not have him watch this one. The first one was more of an action/monster stomping on things kind of movie. This one is more of a psychological thriller. I loved it, but my sheltered 13-year old will be completely creeped out by it. :).

Someone said they didn't like it because it was "predictable" but I don't think that was the case. Hitchcock said that you can do a movie one of two ways. The first way: everyone is sitting around a table and then BOOM A BOMB GOES OFF! AAAAAHHH!

The second way: everyone is sitting around a table and you show the audience the bomb under the table (!!). The audience is thinking, "Get out of the room!" Everyone gets up to leave the room, but then! someone says, "Wait guys, come back in for a sec..." And now the audience is sitting on the edge of their seats thinking, "NONONO! Don't go BACK in the room! AAAAHH!

Obviously, Hitchcock liked the second scenario.

That's what I felt this movie was like. We sort of know what's going on (there's a bomb under the table), but we don't know exactly what will happen and we wonder whether the people sitting around the table will manage to survive.

• Like 1