Menu

Religious Content in Potter's School French classes

For anyone who has had a child take French from Potter's School, have you encountered much religious content in the online classes? I know that they use the BJU French textbooks, but I've never seen them in person. I'm not sure how you would even insert religion into a foreign language textbook. Are the texts problematic? Does religion come up in class or among the students?

• Like 1

My students have taken four TPS French courses, two using BJU texts and two that were literature-focused. TPS is a Christian provider. The French instructor is an unabashed Christian and much of the literature is discussed in light of a Christian worldview. BJU is a Christian publisher. The BJU French 1 & 2 texts contain a fairly significant amount of Christian material. The preface of the French 2 text states up front: "One of the themes of the first-year textbook French I for Christian Schools is that France is a mission field." The TPS courses do not skip Chapter 13 or any of the other Christian content in the texts.

All that to say..... A non-Christian _might_ be ok with TPS French courses. A non-Christian specifically looking to _avoid_ Christian content would not be happy with the courses, I think. The Biblical references, the Christian worldview, the Christian discussions among students might soon feel overwhelming.

If you are looking for French 1, WTMA might be a better option since they're secular.

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 6

My students have taken four TPS French courses, two using BJU texts and two that were literature-focused. TPS is a Christian provider. The French instructor is an unabashed Christian and much of the literature is discussed in light of a Christian worldview. BJU is a Christian publisher. The BJU French 1 & 2 texts contain a fairly significant amount of Christian material. The preface of the French 2 text states up front: "One of the themes of the first-year textbook French I for Christian Schools is that France is a mission field." The TPS courses do not skip Chapter 13 or any of the other Christian content in the texts.

All that to say..... A non-Christian _might_ be ok with TPS French courses. A non-Christian specifically looking to _avoid_ Christian content would not be happy with the courses, I think. The Biblical references, the Christian worldview, the Christian discussions among students might soon feel overwhelming.

If you are looking for French 1, WTMA might be a better option since they're secular.

What about their AP French course? Do you have experience with it?

• Like 1

What about their AP French course? Do you have experience with it?

Their AP French course is new this year. Previously, they offered an "AP Supplement" that a student could do along with the French 4/5 lit-based course. This year, it's an official, full-blown AP French course in and of itself, specifically covering the various themes expected for the AP exam. It meets for an hour and a half, twice a week.

So, no, we don't have any experience with it. However, I would expect that, like a literature-based course, an AP French course would necessarily involve a lot of discussion, and it's likely that, at a stalwart Christian provider, that discussion would be be done through the lens of a Christian worldview.

• Like 4

Roadrunner & Loesje,

What levels of French courses are you looking for?  And I assume you're looking for secular?

We're Christian and we've been very happy with the TPS French courses.  It does seem that there is some level of interest in a strong, secular French program, though. I've been trying to convince a couple of providers to start a full-on French program, but they're both relatively new and are more focused right now on covering the basics well. My students have been working online with an excellent, native French tutor, in addition to the TPS classes. Right now, she only tutors individually online, but she may be interested in pulling together small group classes, if there's enough interest and if she can find a suitable online classroom platform to use.

yvonne

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 1

From my ds: There's a prayer at the beginning of each class. And after Ch. 13 the teacher selects a student to do the prayer each week. The textbook has a Bible quote at the beginning of each chapter and the textbook exercises occasionally have religious content, at least a few in each chapter. As an example, there was a sentence this week that said, "Your friend doesn't know what to do" and the student was instructed to tell the friend to read the Bible. In the stories they read and listen to, some have had religious content (one was a sermon and one was about a missionary). His class hasn't started literature yet, so he doesn't know how much religious content there will be in literature discussion.

My ds says, "The religious content is annoying but if you don't mind just ignoring it, it's fine. But if it bothers you I would not suggest doing this course."

Edited by Cosmos
  • Like 2

Roadrunner & Loesje,

What levels of French courses are you looking for?  And I assume you're looking for secular?

We're Christian and we've been very happy with the TPS French courses.  It does seem that there is some level of interest in a strong, secular French program, though. I've been trying to convince a couple of providers to start a full-on French program, but they're both relatively new and are more focused right now on covering the basics well. My students have been working online with an excellent, native French tutor, in addition to the TPS classes. Right now, she only tutors individually online, but she may be interested in pulling together small group classes, if there's enough interest and if she can find a suitable online classroom platform to use.

yvonne

We are set for this upcoming year, but afterwards we would like French 4 and/or AP class that is secular. 

• Like 2

We're comfortable taking classes from religious providers (as long as they aren't science or history), or we wouldn't be considering Potter's School at all. I've heard consistently good things about their French classes and their French teacher which is why we've been considering them. They also seem to be one of the few places where you can get French all the way up to AP. I do feel wary of the BJU textbook, because of BJU's reputation for intolerance.

Now, what do you mean when you say unabashed Christian? Are you talking about an instructor who shares her faith as it comes up and assumes the students are also evangelical Christians or are we talking about an instructor who brings up religious topics even when they don't apply and criticizes other faiths/Christians? We are totally comfortable with the first scenario, but not so much with the second.

From my ds: There's a prayer at the beginning of each class. And after Ch. 13 the teacher selects a student to do the prayer each week. The textbook has a Bible quote at the beginning of each chapter and the textbook exercises occasionally have religious content, at least a few in each chapter. As an example, there was a sentence this week that said, "Your friend doesn't know what to do" and the student was instructed to tell the friend to read the Bible. In the stories they read and listen to, some have had religious content (one was a sermon and one was about a missionary). His class hasn't started literature yet, so he doesn't know how much religious content there will be in literature discussion.

My ds says, "The religious content is annoying but if you don't mind just ignoring it, it's fine. But if it bothers you I would not suggest doing this course."

Thanks. This is really helpful. 

My daughter is definitely the type that has no problem rolling her eyes and ignoring things. Prayer and the occasional religious content is fine, but I don't think she would be comfortable with outright criticism of other faiths (or other Christians). That would bother her.

• Like 1

FWIW, OP, we are like you and are taking the French 4/5 class next year. I would not take a class that uses a religious textbook so that's where I'm drawing my line. We use Landry too.

There's basically no other choices for French above 3, so I'm just grateful it is being offered.

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

We're comfortable taking classes from religious providers (as long as they aren't science or history), or we wouldn't be considering Potter's School at all.

Then it sounds like you'll be just fine with TPS French courses.

The observations of Cosmos and madteaparty are probably the best advice for you since it sounds like they're in the same position as you.  In our experience with online classes, the TPS French courses have been some of the most Christian. Works well for us, but I can see where they would not work for others. They are good classes, though, and, if they work for Cosmos & mad, maybe they'll work for you, too!

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 1

FWIW, OP, we are like you and are taking the French 4/5 class next year. I would not take a class that uses a religious textbook so that's where I'm drawing my line. We use Landry too.

There's basically no other choices for French above 3, so I'm just grateful it is being offered.

How have you liked Landry? I haven't heard much about their French classes, but I like that they use Discovering French Today as their text.

Roadrunner & Loesje,

What levels of French courses are you looking for? And I assume you're looking for secular?

We're Christian and we've been very happy with the TPS French courses. It does seem that there is some level of interest in a strong, secular French program, though. I've been trying to convince a couple of providers to start a full-on French program, but they're both relatively new and are more focused right now on covering the basics well. My students have been working online with an excellent, native French tutor, in addition to the TPS classes. Right now, she only tutors individually online, but she may be interested in pulling together small group classes, if there's enough interest and if she can find a suitable online classroom platform to use.

yvonne

I like the content of TPS AP course very much, but the way TPS has been described in this thread it might be too christian for our purpose.

As we live in Europe live classes are often a problem, unless they start 7am EST...

We don't need a full credit AP class French here, just advanced french, and dd would reach that level about a year of 2-3.

A short course 4-8 weeks could be an option, spread about several years, preferable in spring term.

So I don't I am very helpfull :blush: