Menu

Drawing Skill Level and the Fine Arts Credit

DS will have a Visual Arts credit that combines art history, art appreciation, and studio art.

My son needs to start drawing instruction at the most basic level. Truly. And his skill level may never reach what I see when I look at high school portfolio examples. Do you think that matters? I am inclined to think that it does not as long as he receives high school level instruction and puts forth high school level effort.

He resisted art all through middle school, and now is finally willing to learn it. I am thrilled! I think that learning to draw is a worthy skill, and I really would like him to get over the mental hurdle of "I can't draw."

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 1

I am inclined to think that it does not as long as he receives high school level instruction and puts forth high school level effort.

We were at a private high school for an event two weeks ago and there were lots of student works on the boards along the corridors.  Regardless of skill level, the high school kids in that school earn their fine arts credit :)

My kids think they can't draw too even though they drew decent animal and plant cells drawings.  For them it is perfectionism holding them back and seeing other people's work helped. My kids won't be artists or artisans but they would be able to feel that they can draw or sculpt or paint at a decent level.

How about photography? My youngest would love that as his fine arts elective.

Edited for grammar mistakes.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 4

In my state, high school elective credits are counted 2 ways: by either hours or by finishing a course.  So, even if your son's work does not look  high school level to you - legally - it can count. Your son will improve in skill and develop his appreciation of art even more. Some people draw more intuitively, other people are more mathematical/analytic in the way their brains work. Either way, practice in class time is good. Drawing is more learning how to see than learning how to draw.

If you want to do drawing, I just looked at a website another mom on the forum recommended:   http://thevirtualinstructor.com/members/ I had never seen this before. I usually recommend Artistic Pursuits when people ask me for suggestions. Clear teaching from a book, video, or live teacher can make drawing so much easier! I also like Carrie Parks series on portrait drawing. For him, you might want to consider something from the North Light Books series on perspective drawing and basic shading of solid forms. Once person understands perspective, it makes drawing everything else so much easier. Honestly, the virtual instructor website I saw yesterday looks amazing!

Would  your son also enjoy trying something hands on like pottery or printmaking? He can apply art concepts without a drawing as the finished product; it might just be a step in preparation. Local art museums often have classes for young people that last 6 or 8 weeks. It sounds like you have done a good job in giving him fine arts background.

• Like 2

Thank you for the reassuring replies. He will do some other types of studio art besides drawing, but we are including drawing. It is fundamental IMO.

He was "traumatized" about art for a long time, thanks to a wicked,wicked art teacher in a B&M elementary school.

I also have Artistic Pursuits Sculpture, and it looks really good.

• Like 3

Just a note of encouragement...

My dd started drawing lessons this semester. She will never draw like some of her friends, who are natural born artists, but I have been so very pleased with the progress she's made. It took a tutor and an analytical approach for her to make progress in her work, but there was finally a distinct improvement. 

I am taking a similar approach for her art credit (although I'm not sure what I'll call it yet...). She will have a mix of art appreciation, art history, and studio art. The instruction is high school level and improvement is being made, so I'm counting it. It's art for non-majors.  ;)

• Like 4