Menu

Difference b/t "a"erobic and "an"earobic - any fitness trainers/degreed people?

sheryl

I've read the working definition of both.  But, I still don't get it.

I researched on my phone and found that both burn calories and only one burns fat (I think) but don't remember which direction it is.   Looked just now on my pc and can not find the same site.   Oh well...

There are differences b/t "a" and "an" in terms of exercise, endurance, metabolism, respiration, etc. (more?)

And,  one can achieve "an" status by how they "work" their "a" routine.

Can someone explain this to me in lay terms?

I need to lose weight (pounds), inches (body fat).

Plan is to ditch the treadmill on a regular basis b/c it hasn't helped and go back to walking outside 45 min (3.1 mi./5 K) walk.  That's not super fast, but it's good for me - 3 or 4 days a week.  The other days alternate with dancing aerobics like zumba or biking.   Lift free weights (10 lbs. total) 3x/week. 

Lastly, I know how important it is to "switch" up your routine.  How often should this be done?  When I feel better about wearing a swimsuit I could go back to swimming laps (20 years ago I swam 1 mile but it was only once a week).

Yikes.   Help.

I am not an exercise guru, but it may help to understand that in the word *aerobic*, *a* is not a prefix, but is part of the stem *aero*, meaning air-- in this case, the oxygen in air. The *an* in *anaerobic* is a prefix and means without oxygen. In general, lower exertion levels correspond with aerobic exercise and when intensity is greatly increased, it enters the anaerobic state.

• Like 4

What Lawana said. :thumbup1:  A jog around the block chatting with a friend is aerobic, but then you do an all-out sprint to race to the top of the hill. There's no way your chatting with your friend now. You're both gasping for air. You've entered into anaerobic exercise. Your workouts are mostly aerobic, but then you have little bits of anaerobic exercise thrown in here and there.

• Like 1

ok, I get that.  lawana, yes, I do understand with/out oxygen.  I didn't list everything...lol,

it was my understanding that "an" does not lead to weight loss b/c the body is being deprived of oxygen, and we know that oxygen assists with weight loss.  hence, the reason why I'm confused.

it was my understanding that "an" does not lead to weight loss b/c the body is being deprived of oxygen, and we know that oxygen assists with weight loss.  hence, the reason why I'm confused.

Anaerobic doesn't burn as many calories as aerobic at the moment of exercise, BUT it burns more fat in the long run because you're building muscle. More muscle = burning more calories. 

• Like 1

It also has to do with the type of fuel your body is using during your workout.  Aerobic activity predominately burns fat while anaerobic burns carbohydrates.  

Anaerobic activity is not sustainable and you can only do it for a short time.  Generally, when you exercise you do a bit of both as there is not a clear cut line separating the two forms of exercise.  You can think of it like a continuum.

Aerobic = endurance training

Anaerobic = sprinting, weightlifting, power (plyometrics - explosive movements)

• Like 2

Anaerobic doesn't burn as many calories as aerobic at the moment of exercise, BUT it burns more fat in the long run because you're building muscle. More muscle = burning more calories. 

Aerobic is more cardiovascular. Anything with a lot of sustained oxygen exchange. Distance running, swimming, cycling.

Anaerobic is muscle building. Weight lifting, bodyweight activity, sprints.

I change monthly. If I were you I'd pick up weights progressively heavier than 10 pounds. Get in there with some barbells and plates. That will change your inches for sure!

It also has to do with the type of fuel your body is using during your workout.  Aerobic activity predominately burns fat while anaerobic burns carbohydrates.  

Anaerobic activity is not sustainable and you can only do it for a short time.  Generally, when you exercise you do a bit of both as there is not a clear cut line separating the two forms of exercise.  You can think of it like a continuum.

Aerobic = endurance training

Anaerobic = sprinting, weightlifting, power (plyometrics - explosive movements)

Sheryl, will you be lifting at a gym or home? You really need heavier than 10lb for almost all exercises.

Thanks everyone!  I get a better picture now.  I need to burn carbs and fat so both forms are necessary.  Luckymama, right now I'm lifting at home.  I may buy a membership for dd and I to Planet Fitness over the summer (heavier weights/plates, maybe) .  What is the minimum age? 

Thessa and SJ, when you mentioned one burns more fat and one burns more calories, that REALLY helped. 

Appreciate it.