Menu

Curriculum list?

Every child is unique regardless of giftedness.

Either

you bring your child to a used curriculum store and libraries and bookstores and hope your child pick out something he/she likes,

or

you use what you have or intend to buy and tweak to your hearts content.

While Prufrock Press and Royal Fireworks Press might be publishing curriculum for gifted kids, it can definately be used by anyone.

• Like 2

Yes, I agree with Arcadia. Plus, a child may be accelerated in certain subjects, but not others. So, for a maths-loving child, you might choose Beast Academy and Zaccaro's books. For a language-loving child, you might use MCT and Prufrock Press books.

I suggested Hogies Gifted because it was the first site I thought of when I saw your thread. And it has a humongous list of resources. :-D

You may also want join the TagMax list and ask for more suggestions.

Edited by nansk

To provide more detail, which I was hoping to avoid, I am gathering information to assist a family that lives overseas in a rural area. Internet is not readily available, and there is no running to the library, curriculum sales/bookstores, and poring over websites or Google. Hence the request for a list. This family cannot buy-and-try a lot because of their location, shipping costs, etc.

I am familiar with Hoagies, Royal Fireworks and Prufrock, as I use some of their resources with our family. I was hoping for a list I could print and send along with some catalogs.

Download as many samples in pdf format as you can and mail a flash drive or SD card to them with all the samplers loaded.

I don't find catalogs useful to pick curriculum but I find samples that are many pages long useful for my kids to gauge if they might like it and also which level approximately to buy. Placement tests aren't very useful sometimes.

• Like 3

That's a tough situation for anyone choosing curriculum, much less for accelerated learners who may be all over the map with skills, interests, etc.

Here are some that immediately come to my mind. Keep in mind my oldest is 9, so I'm not familiar with the needs of older kids.

Math:

MEP (free for printing, if that's available)

Miquon for younger kids

Beast Academy

Art of Problem Solving books can be digital

Language Arts:

I don't use the activities (and I severely tweak the method of dictation) in the program Spell to Write and Read, but it contains many levels in one program and the student can progress through the word lists as quickly as he/she needs to.

I don't have an accelerated writer, so no help there. My reluctant writer has done well with IEW.

A Kindle loaded with lots of classic and contemporary literature - I would look at the Ambleside Online list as a start.

History:

Story of the World, including the audio books

A great atlas

Latin:

Getting Started with Latin

Science is a conundrum, too. BFSU comes to mind, but we used the recommended reading lists. I feel like you'd also need something with pictures.

I would also load an MP3 player or laptop with as many audio books and classical music as I could. Find a good Art History book and a How to Draw book.

Here is a list of threads about homeschooling with limited physical resources. They may help generate ideas, too.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/540167-so-minimalist-challenge/

• Like 2

A word of caution on AO- obviously the person who mentioned it uses it, so it works for some families.

We spent a year (almost 2) with it, really gave it a go. I read all of the Charlotte Mason readings, etc.

It did add some good elements to our homeschool (habit-training for example), but on the whole, it really took up a lot of my time, and would require a lot of Internet. I can't recommend it in this situation.

ETA- I really cannot recommend such heavy reliance on out of copyright science and history, either. I noticed the comments about starting high school are that AO's list does not prepare for "speciality" tests for math and science. I think that comment has been added since we used it, so I suspect most users are not using AO's science at the upper levels.

Edited by elladarcy
  • Like 2