Menu

5th year high school

My oldest has been talking about doing a 5th year for high school. She's in 11th this year and basically would repeat 11th next year. 

She's very "behind" in math so it would give her an extra year to get in more math. She's almost finished with Algebra 1 (that's been an almost 3 year process). 

But other than math, she really has enough credits to graduate next spring. I'm feeling like I need to push her to just go ahead and graduate. She can stay her and do community college classes, but I'm really feeling like she needs to be done with my authority as her teacher/administrator by the time she's a legal adult. 

Can I graduate her with only Algebra 1 and Geometry? I mean, I know I can, but would a regular college be out of the question? I'm not sure she's destined for a traditional 4-year school, but maybe. 

If math has been a huge struggle and she wants the extra time to keep moving through math, that would also give her more time to take other classes that might strengthen her transcript and she could also maybe pursue skill sets that she wants to hone, areas of interest she wants time to pursue before she has to take on the duties of an adult, etc.  Lots of kids graduate High School at 19 and some even graduate later than that.  If it were you wanting her to do another year and she were fighting you on it then that would be different but she is asking you for that extra time.  Only having Algebra I and Geometry might limit what schools she can get into.  Have you looked at schools she might be interested in to see what their requirements are?

• Like 2

Lots of kids graduate high school at 19 - or even 20.  The trend towards red-shirting kids in public schools makes this common, especially for boys.  If she wants the extra time, and you are willing to give it to her, I don't think any college would find it odd. 

And if she'd be doing community college anyway, why not give her the extra year for math, and dual enroll her in whatever areas are her strengths/interests?  Make it sort of a more gradual transition?

• Like 1

If she WANTS to do another year, then I would do another year.

I agree!

You can have her take some CC classes and not be her only teacher, but part time CC, part time homeschooling may be just the opportunity to gently ease out of the nest that she needs.

Yes, you can graduate her with just Algebra and Geometry, but she won't have the entrance requirements for most colleges, even State U's. She would have to go to the CC the next year anyway, and going part time while homeschooling part time would give her time to catch up math a bit more and have a transcript that would take her on to a 4-year college if that is where she would like to go.

• Like 1