Menu

1yo has asked that in the future

we call her Ella.

Her name is Abigail Gabriella. I wanted to call her Gabby; dh wanted to call her Abby. Dh won, but w/ the slew of Abbies around, he's caved. Now that she can say. her. name! She calls herself Abum.

So we were playing around w/ her name this afternoon, calling her Abby, Abby Gabby, etc., & I said, "Ella." She whipped her head around & said, "Lellum?"

She's been repeating it ever since & dancing. LOL

I have a niece Gabriella, called Gabby. But Ella is very cute. Sophie has decided that our baby will be called Lillypad, I'm not sure it even has to fit the actual name. But since we're considering Lillian as a middle-name, she may just get called Lillypad if it sticks. :001_smile:

I have a niece Gabriella, called Gabby. But Ella is very cute. Sophie has decided that our baby will be called Lillypad, I'm not sure it even has to fit the actual name. But since we're considering Lillian as a middle-name, she may just get called Lillypad if it sticks. :001_smile:

Before Abby was born, Grace wanted to name her Jewelry Sparkle. :D

I was thinking about your baby name dilemma today. I'm voting for Isabella!

Tons of Ella's and Ellie's where I live. It's a pretty name. I happen to be partial to Gabriella , though, and like Gabby a lot. i don't hear that one often.

But if the child has announced her name...:001_smile:that's a tough call.

All the options are good.

See...that's what I'm wondering. Isn't 1 a little late to change names like that? But otoh...who's to argue w/ the bearer? But otoh...she's only 1. What does she know? (I've got a lot of hands, lol!)

I guess I'm inclined to go w/ it. If I can. It sounds awfully phony to just switch names, though. I thought we *might* be able to make the Gabby transition subtly enough. She's been Abby Gabby all along, ya know?

We had the same disagreement w/ dd5--dh wanted to call her Grace; I wanted to call her Beth. Guess who won that one, too? :glare: Not really. I conceded at the same time he did, & we discussed it all over again. So I think technically, *I* won.

can't you have more than one name?!

My kids each have numerous names that I use, they use, family uses... depending on our mood.

For example. Titus answers to T, Ty, Mr. T. Mountaineer. Ty-Guy, Buddy, and Hey You!

Mina is also Minnie, Min, Sunny, The Toy Police, and Sunshine.

Trinity is learning to come to Trin, Trinny, Trin-Trin, Cupcake, Squirrel and Stinky Crocodile. :lol: (she bit me once when she had a full load)

Anyway, I don't believe in limiting nicknames or shortened names to one option. As long as it's loving and acceptable to the person who is being named its cute.

Micah is Mic, Mickey, Mic-Mic, Mr. M., Crash, and sometimes Chief. Although today he told me he wants to be aJudge.

How cute! You guys just need to have another baby and use up some more great names!

Personally, I would never let a 1 year old choose her name. I would, though, call her by her chosen nickname once in awhile just for fun (and make it an obvious "I'm-teasing-you-Mom's-can-have-fun-too" game).

I think it/she's beautiful, and I'd call the sweetie Ella. You know we were movers (moved a lot) and names ran in places and cycles. Fwiw, I don't know a single Ella here. Lots of Abby & Gabby girls like the American Girls.

Call your child what you want.;)

we call her Ella.

Her name is Abigail Gabriella. I wanted to call her Gabby; dh wanted to call her Abby. Dh won, but w/ the slew of Abbies around, he's caved. Now that she can say. her. name! She calls herself Abum.

So we were playing around w/ her name this afternoon, calling her Abby, Abby Gabby, etc., & I said, "Ella." She whipped her head around & said, "Lellum?"

She's been repeating it ever since & dancing. LOL

We call our dc all sorts of variations of their names at home and just give their full given first name in public until they choose what they want to be called, which occurs sometime between 1 and 2. My dd chose to go by a shortened version of her first name, my ds1 chose to go by his middle name, and ds2 has chosen to go by his entire first name. One of the reasons I gave them all really good first and middle names was so they would have options to pick a "name" that they liked when they got older.

I have a very unusual first name and a boring, but oddly spelled middle name. My mother insisted that I be called by my entire first name - no nicknames, no shortened versions, EVER! It always seemed oddly controlling. I use a shortened version of my name now, but it doesn't feel like me, but neither does my real name. I don't spend much time fretting over it, but it did make me want to give my kids choices and honor those choices.