Menu

Setting High School Goals

I've seen a number of threads, etc. where people seem to have been discouraged, overwhelmed, etc. about high school.  Parenting for high school is definitely a challenge, either homeschooling or sending your kids off to school.  Even when you think you have it all figured out when your kid is in 8th grade, they change by the time 9th grade starts.  There are so many things to cover in high school, it sometimes seems so "important," and it really is the last time you're likely to be heavily involved in their schooling and learning process. One thing that's helped me to prioritize and focus, is to write down goals.

I'll share a list to start, and welcome any one who cares to to chime in.  I hope it helps someone and look forward to seeing what others think are priorities.  I recognize that other folks will have different values and goals, and my intent is not to say these should be yours -- it's more a way of trying to stay focused on the big picture when making trade offs.

Goals:

1. Read well and think critically
  2. Analyze issues logically and consider others' point of view
  3. Write well and present yourself effectively orally
  4. Be very competent in math, including statistics
  5. Develop healthily in body and spirit
  6. Provide service to community (or "give back" to community)

• Like 13

I also made a little planning table like this:

-----------------------------Grade------------------

pre-9th          9          10         11         12

Math

Algebra 1…

Statistics

English

Composition and Rhetoric

Literature

Social Studies

World Languages

Spanish

French

Science

Fine Arts

Other

* [specific goals]

**Place extracurricular activities below class table

ETA: Edited for format

Edited by Brad S
  • Like 2

My rising 9th grader asks for a schedule of what she needs to do for the day. Then she gets to decide in what order to do them. She checks with me first as she sometimes does not schedule appropriately and there will be conflicts.

She really wants to be independent with her schedule so this is helping towards that.

I also ask her what electives she will like to do and I try to accomodate that in planning.

I always try to remember some of what Nan posted a while ago that there is a huge amount of difference between a 9th grader and a 12th grader.

• Like 1

Great thread idea. Thanks!

Here's our list:

1. Physical, mental, and emotional health

2. Healthy and supportive relationships

3. 4 credits in each of the 5 core subjects (math, English, foreign language, history, science) 

4. Meaningful work and play outside of credit hour academics

5. Time to read, dream, and just be

6. Elective credits

Progress toward independence woven throughout. 

Critical thinking/metacognition and contemplation of morals and ethics as ever present themes.

(The above list is an overview. Within each category I have more specific goals.)

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy
  • Like 4