Menu

Plant Book

My4arrows

I'm looking for a recommendation for a reference book about plants.  It would be for Elementary (3rd and 1st) as well as preschool.  Something that gives information on different types of plants for my kids to look at pictures, read information on their own.  (It will be used to accompany Quark Chronicles- Botany)

We just started with Quark and one book I found in the library that is quite different and very enjoyable (it's not just about plants but does include them) is Nature Anatomy by Julia Rothman.

I suspect that I like it partially because it feels and looks very different from the Eyewitness Plant type books - it is smaller and the paper is matte with hand illustrated drawings.  It feels less busy and is much more pleasing to the eye and feel IMO.

• Like 3

We just started with Quark and one book I found in the library that is quite different and very enjoyable (it's not just about plants but does include them) is Nature Anatomy by Julia Rothman.

I suspect that I like it partially because it feels and looks very different from the Eyewitness Plant type books - it is smaller and the paper is matte with hand illustrated drawings. It feels less busy and is much more pleasing to the eye and feel IMO.

Ooh, that looks beautiful!

The ones I listed above may be too old for your kids.

Seconding Gail Gibbons and also Let's Read and Find Out. 

Have you looked at the Guest Hollow Botany list? She did an earlier (incomplete) version when her son was younger and you might find something good there. 

Not general overview, but I love the Tree Tales series by Barbara Bash

For preschoolers, Eric Carle's The Tiny Seed.

Our library has loads of early reader level science books, but it is hard to tell how good they are without actually seeing them. I often end up there just looking and skimming to see which ones are best or reserving a stack only to return all but 3 or 4 within an hour of checking them out. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

We like Fun With Nature: Take Along Guide. I think I found it after it was recommended on these boards a while back.

I also agree with the above poster that recommended a local field guide. We've learned so much just by looking up plants in the guide that they see/pick right outside!

• Like 2

I suspect that I like it partially because it feels and looks very different from the Eyewitness Plant type books - it is smaller and the paper is matte with hand illustrated drawings. It feels less busy and is much more pleasing to the eye and feel IMO.

We received this book in the mail this week and my boys haven't put it down. They have been flipping through it repeatedly and excitedly showing me their finds. We have the Encyclopedia type books mentioned as well and enjoy them, but there really is something about the presentation of the Nature Anatomy book that draws you in. It's not an in depth book on plants, just a survey of a variety of nature topics but it has been inspiring for us and is drawing us into deeper study,

I suspect that I like it partially because it feels and looks very different from the Eyewitness Plant type books - it is smaller and the paper is matte with hand illustrated drawings.  It feels less busy and is much more pleasing to the eye and feel IMO.

This book looks almost exactly what I was looking for. I am going to need to get this one!  Thanks for the suggestion.  

The ones I listed above may be too old for your kids.

Seconding Gail Gibbons and also Let's Read and Find Out. 

Have you looked at the Guest Hollow Botany list? She did an earlier (incomplete) version when her son was younger and you might find something good there. 

Not general overview, but I love the Tree Tales series by Barbara Bash.you

For preschoolers, Eric Carle's The Tiny Seed.

Our library has loads of early reader level science books, but it is hard to tell how good they are without actually seeing them. I often end up there just looking and skimming to see which ones are best or reserving a stack only to return all but 3 or 4 within an hour of checking them out. 

I'll check out Guest Hollow's list.  My kids do like Gail Gibbons books, so we will check that out.  I think the Eyewitness books are just too cluttered maybe for them.  Those books haven't held their interest and they are avid readers.