Menu

Switching from Math in Focus to ?? Suggestions?

redquilthorse

We were using BJU for math, but decided to switch to Math in Focus this year to get some more Singapore style instruction. Well, it's not going super well for us. Any suggestions for next year? I will have kids in K, 2, 3, and 6. I would like something with a little more mental math practice and more word problems than BJU, but easier to teach than MIF. I need lots of review, too. Is there something similar in style to BJU but not BJU? 

I haven't seen BJU, but Horizons is a nice, solid spiral course. The concepts build up stealthily and my kids tend to not realize how difficult the math is getting.

(My fire and ice kid bounces back and forth between MiF and Horizons. They're so very different that it doesn't feel redundant to her.)

I'm using BJU this year with my oldest after Math in Focus stopped working for her.

I still use the Intensive Practice and Challenging Word Problems books with her to fill in those mental math gaps and easy word problems that BJU has.

I would say if BJU worked well, maybe look at adding some of the extra Singapore resources to the program.

• Like 1

Now I'm nervous...just got my big box o' Rainbow Resource materials and it includes Math in Focus for 3rd grade!  We have always liked Singapore Math (Primary Math), but I thought ds might like this version better.  What did you all not like about it?  (Btw, we switched FROM Math Mammoth!  LOL)

I have a hard time with t because the teacher's guide assumes you are a math teacher. I am not! So it's hard to teach my 5th grader. My second grader is also struggling because he needs more review. Plus it introduces stuff that's fairly advanced for second grade, especially in the word problems. My 1st grader seems to do ok though. It is probably different for everyone.

6packofun, I actually liked Math in Focus and think the student text does a pretty good job of explaining things. (My kids were 1st, 3rd, and 4th.). I thought first grade at times moved too fast but rearranging chapters and throwing in some MM helped (no issues with the other grades.) We are big fans of variety. I do think MM is a little more explicit in its teaching which I like particularly for when my kids want to work independently, and I like the teaching and problems being all together. But if you like Singapore primary math I think you will be happy.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Thanks, ladies.  I think we'll keep MM as a supplement for any extra practice just in case we need to spend more time on something!

G'Day 6packoffun,

I'm just researching math curriculums for my DD who just finished 3rd grade.  Wondering why you have decided to only use MM as a supplement (I'm considering it as our next math curriculum).

Thank you in advance.

I'm using BJU this year with my oldest after Math in Focus stopped working for her.

I still use the Intensive Practice and Challenging Word Problems books with her to fill in those mental math gaps and easy word problems that BJU has.

I would say if BJU worked well, maybe look at adding some of the extra Singapore resources to the program.

This is exactly what we do. I love that I can pull out BJU and have a colorful, visual VERY easy to teach lesson for the basics. But, I admit-the work is pretty easy. Then I have my kiddos do the IP and CWP later in the day, and that is where I really see their brains working.

Next year, I'm switching my rising 4th grader to CLE just to see how he does because he needs the spiral review. But I'll still have him do the other books unless it gets to be too much. Or at least during the summer. I really like looking at math from a few different angles. If BJU is working for you though, I think a simple fix is to just add in some Singapore stuff.

• Like 1