Menu

VSL and Foreign Language (x-posted)

Staceyshoe

This isn't a question about an acclerated learner, but I think the people on this board may be the most knowledgeable about VSL.  My older son and I are planning to start learning Spanish together in preparation for a possible international trip next year.  My younger son has expressed a very strong desire to learn Spanish as well.  He is *not* an auditory learner.  Testing has shown some indications of an auditory processing and/or language processing problem but no diagnosis.  Language (even English, which is his first language) does not come naturally to him.  How would you go about teaching a foreign language to a young VSL?  (I'm not expecting a lot of progress but want it to be fun and for him to learn something--even if it's very little--that he can use within our family and on our trip.)  

DS10 learnt languages visually until his audio ability catched up. So when we borrowed language learning DVDs for preschoolers from the library, we turned captions on. Pronunciation wasn't an issue, the speed of the person talking was the issue for him. We set YouTube to half the speed at times in the past.

Another thing that helped was those traveler phrasebooks like this one so my kid could check quickly if he forgot.

http://www.amazon.com/Lonely-Spanish-Phrasebook-Dictionary-Phrasebooks/dp/1742208096

Picture charts was useful for vocabulary like parts of the body, names of utensils and all that.

Edited for horrible grammar.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

One thing I have done is to teach word signs (we use ASL signs, but you could make up your own signs or look up signs for a sign language with ties to your target language); this adds both a visual and a kinesthetic component to aid in vocabulary learning and recall.

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

Ds learned grammar for foriegn language by diagramming. Drawing the sentence made it real for him. He could see it. We now o it with simple Spanish sentences. A lot of the workbooks from the 80's which we got cheapo off Amazon are pictoral. Whole language was a big thing then, so you got whole language in foriegn language as well.

• Like 1

One thing I have done is to teach word signs (we use ASL signs, but you could make up your own signs or look up signs for a sign language with ties to your target language); this adds both a visual and a kinesthetic component to aid in vocabulary learning and recall.

We do this, too.  It creates a bridge between languages that is very, very useful.

• Like 2

I know some folks complain about Rosetta Stone, but as a visual learner myself I really love it. It's not great as a whole program, but it's awesome for adding vocabulary. The images are very compelling. Use bits and pieces of it as you want. You can skip sections and just practice pieces (e.g., main lesson plus vocabulary section). Modify it to your needs.

• Like 1