Menu

What to do for acne?

Mimm

A quick face wash doesn't take long, so he should try to make it part of an unvarying routine. Pick a trigger time - right before a daily meal or snack is good motivation, and he should be washing his hands before eating anyway, amirite?

I'd probably have it be in the morning, because most people wake up and have to pee, and then you sure better wash your hands, and if you're washing your hands it's just a few seconds more to wash your face. Have a stack of washcloths right there, and a pump dispenser for whatever kind of soap. Frequency is more important than extreme thoroughness. 

Ideally, he would at least rinse off the sweat and grime more times throughout the day, so make it a big stack of washcloths and he can rinse even if he doesn't wash. 

Beyond that, buy a ton of wipes and have them everywhere. In his backpack, in his dance bag, in his room, in the car, at the table where he does homework. I personally would use just plain hypoallergenic wipes, not medicated, so that he can wipe his face as often as he wants. 

Getting back to the OP, I'm another one who recommends not waiting too long to get to a dermatologist. Try something OTC, sure, but if it doesn't work quickly or the breakouts are persistent or more than mild, make the call. You can waste a lot of time and money trying one OTC product after another. Our dermatologist likes Epiduo for the medicine, Cetaphil for cleansing, and Cerava for moisturing. 

I agree with the face washing or any other problem area washing like chest or back at least twice a day and ideally 3 times a day or if sweating. We are often pressed for times so we use Stridex with aloe vera in the green jar or grapefruit wipes. When not pressed we use Cetaphil foaming face wash.

We also use epiduo which may have coupons but we found mixing half adapalene with half 2.5% benzoyl peroxide cheaper and it is equivalent to Epiduo.

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I have a child who has hit his teen years and acne is part of it.  I've tried this link several times and it seems to be broken.  I'd love to know what product this is.  Thanks!

We tried several things before we came upon this.  My 15 year old still gets the occasional pimple but doesn't have huge break outs any more.  He had several months last year where it was one break out after another. 

http://www.amazon.com/Benzoyl-Peroxide-10%25-Acne-Treatment/dp/B00PO7GKLM/ref=sr_1_7?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1455234656&sr=1-7&keywords=acne+treatment

My kids have oily skin and the face wash with asylic(?) acid works well for both of them as long as they keep their faces clean. Dd uses it morning and night and uses an acne free moisturizer. DS might wash his face once on a good day, but he's less concerned with achieving perfect skin. I wouldn't use these products on dry skin.

I know this is an old thread but I have a child who has hit his teen years and acne is part of it.  I've tried this link several times and it seems to be broken.  I'd love to know what product this is.  Thanks!

https://smile.amazon.com/Benzoyl-Peroxide-Acne-Treatment-Wash/dp/B00PO7GKLM/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1471580065&sr=8-2&keywords=humane+acne+wash

It was this.  We have half a bottle in the bathroom. If you lived in town I'd give it to you, lol. 

It did work for a bit, but I think it was more that it was encouraging him to wash his face more. He's since moved on and we've found some other stuff he likes better. 

So, try this if you want, but it's not a miracle worker or anything like that. It's just a treatment.  They claim their benzoyl peroxide molocules are smaller so it works better, etc, but remember they are allowed to say almost anything they want. It's not a drug so it's not regulated.

and FYI the acne medication Differin, was made available OTC in July of this year. I have been looking for it in products but haven't seen it yet. As soon as I see some, I'm grabbing some for my kid.  

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/acne-drug-differin-gel-fda-approval-over-the-counter-treatment/

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Like 2

Reduce the amount of sugar intake and increase water intake and the amount of green vegetables consumed. Greens stabilize blood acidity while sugar make blood more acidic which in turn causes breakouts, especially in teens. You could even add green solution for a while for an extra boost.

Topically, wash face morning and before bed. We love tea tree oil acne products for applying directly to blemishes.

I agree 100% with reducing the sugar! It's a major factor for my skin.