Menu

Physics (Algebra based) or Physical Science

I am trying to plan (re-plan) my dd's science sequence for 9-12th.  I have noticed a trend of scheduling Physics with an algebra based curriculum earlier in the sequence.  I am wondering what the difference is between this type of Physics and a rigorous physical science class like BJU.  Can someone enlighten me? 

For instance, Wilson Hill is scheduling Physics 1 as a 9th grade course, but state that it was formerly called Accelerated Studies in Physics and Chemistry, which, as I understood it, was a rigorous physical science class.

So, my first question is if it would be worthwhile to follow BJU Physical (she is taking in 8th) with Physics 1 or would that be too much duplication?  The second question is does Physics 1 really count as "real physics"? 

I am trying to figure out what science to schedule for 9th if I follow Wilson Hill's sequence (I really wanted to use them for science).  8th BJU physical 9th help   10th chemistry   11th biology   12th AP something, probably bio

My dd loves life science, and is not happy about waiting until 11th for bio.  The universities in my state recommend biology plus 3 sciences above that (whatever that means.)

Thanks!!

• Like 1

If you go to the publisher's website, the textbook WHA uses for Honors Physics 1 is listed as a Physical Science textbook. The description of the course also sounds more like physical science (but possibly a version on the more rigorous side given the math requirement, I don't know).

The text for Physics 2 is not listed, but sounds more like "high school algebra-based physics."

That would be my guess, just looking at the websites. But before deciding I would call WHA and ask.

I can answer that because I just emailed Mrs. Jester at Wilson Hill with the same question. She says that there is a lot of overlap with BJU Physical Science and Physics I. She would recommend moving into Chemistry (honors or regular). She says their Biology requires Chemistry first.

• Like 1

I am trying to plan (re-plan) my dd's science sequence for 9-12th.  I have noticed a trend of scheduling Physics with an algebra based curriculum earlier in the sequence.  I am wondering what the difference is between this type of Physics and a rigorous physical science class like BJU.  Can someone enlighten me? 

For instance, Wilson Hill is scheduling Physics 1 as a 9th grade course, but state that it was formerly called Accelerated Studies in Physics and Chemistry, which, as I understood it, was a rigorous physical science class.

So, my first question is if it would be worthwhile to follow BJU Physical (she is taking in 8th) with Physics 1 or would that be too much duplication?  The second question is does Physics 1 really count as "real physics"? 

I am trying to figure out what science to schedule for 9th if I follow Wilson Hill's sequence (I really wanted to use them for science).  8th BJU physical 9th help   10th chemistry   11th biology   12th AP something, probably bio

My dd loves life science, and is not happy about waiting until 11th for bio.  The universities in my state recommend biology plus 3 sciences above that (whatever that means.)

Thanks!!

I believe WHA uses the Novare Introductory Physics text. Here is an article they wrote about physics first. They have both an Introductory Physics text and an Accelerated Studies in Physics and Chemistry. Both are recommended for 9th grade depending on track. They do not recommend physical science in 8th if you plan to do physics in 9th because of the overlap.

http://www.novarescienceandmath.com/wp-content/uploads/Novare_Newsletter_v4_3.pdf

That link says that for accelerated students, they recommend the Introductory Physics and Chemistry in ninth grade but in their store, they list the book Accelerated Studies in Physics and Chemistry under Physical Science, not Physics. And this is the book listed for Honors Physics 1 at WHA. http://www.novarescienceandmath.com/catalog/physical-science/

They actually don't have a book in their catalog titled Introductory Physics and Chemistry as in the article.

• Like 1

Chemistry and physics are physical sciences and Novare does call Accelerated Studies in Physics & Chemistry a physical science text. I think the article references a general introduction to chemistry and physics and not the actual title of the book. Novare's accelerated track uses ASPC as does Wilson Hill's honors track. Novare's standard track uses Introductory Physics as does Wilson Hill's standard track. Not sure if that helps, but here is what the Novare website says about ASPC:

ASPC is a physical science text intended for accelerated 9th grade students who have already completed Algebra I. Like all NSM texts, ASPC integrates history, mathematics, and technical communication skills in a compact volume with aesthetically-mature graphics and lucid, grade-level prose.

An accelerated or ‘honors’ course

ASPC is our offering for those 9th graders who had Algebra I in 8th grade and are taking geometry concurrently. These are often students who aspire to a STEM career or who simply love science, who are motivated to use their Algebra I skills to tackle exercises, and who are disciplined to manage their academic life. Obviously, this course is not for all 9th graders. For our regular-track 9th grade science recommendation, check out Introductory Physics at this link.

• Like 3

There is a big difference in difficulty between an algebra/trig based physics that is based on a hard physics book compared to an algebra based physics book based on a physical science book. They may both be billed as algebra based physics, but the workload and output may differ quite a bit (including the math expected).

• Like 3

I can answer that because I just emailed Mrs. Jester at Wilson Hill with the same question. She says that there is a lot of overlap with BJU Physical Science and Physics I. She would recommend moving into Chemistry (honors or regular). She says their Biology requires Chemistry first.

I had emailed her, too, and she recommended the same for my daughter.  I'm just not feeling chemistry for 9th grade, though.  :(    I'm just kind of wondering if the physics 1 instead of physical science is just a way to re-package to make it look better on a transcript, especially if it is using the same text.  It's not just Wilson Hill.   

A lot of people are moving to physics early with an algebra-based curriculum.

That link says that for accelerated students, they recommend the Introductory Physics and Chemistry in ninth grade but in their store, they list the book Accelerated Studies in Physics and Chemistry under Physical Science, not Physics. And this is the book listed for Honors Physics 1 at WHA. http://www.novarescienceandmath.com/catalog/physical-science/

They actually don't have a book in their catalog titled Introductory Physics and Chemistry as in the article.

Penelope, have you seen a new syllabus for this WH Physics class?  I'm just wondering if they are still using the same book because it looks like Physics 1 is primarily Physics while the honors track includes some chemistry.  Last I checked the book wasn't listed this year.

Have you looked at Clover Creek online?

Algebra based added onto a conceptual physics book. Lots of recommendations for a "first physics" class.

I searched here for reviews.

Taught by a mom on these boards:)

I guess my concern is that these Physics 1 classes are really just physical science, which  my dd is taking in 8th.  I'm wondering if colleges are really accepting these credits as "Physics".  

Penelope, have you seen a new syllabus for this WH Physics class? I'm just wondering if they are still using the same book because it looks like Physics 1 is primarily Physics while the honors track includes some chemistry. Last I checked the book wasn't listed this year.

No, I found the books listed on the course descriptions linked on their home page.

I think Hewitt's Conceptual Physics is definitely not the same as physical science (at least the physical science textbooks I have seen), and I have seen posts that say their local high schools use it as a general physics course. Some people even use the college version of the textbook, which of course is meant to fulfill a credit for non-science majors at the college, or maybe the community college, level. We are using CP this year with additional problem solving resources (which is what I understand Clover Creek does). I think it could be high school credit worthy (it is an accepted high school textbook, after all), but my preference for my own family is to also have a stronger course with more math in high school, especially for students that are more interested in science-associated fields.

I don't really understand how the Novare textbooks work. I think that the title of their textbook and the link found up thread are confusing. I don't know why they would give the book meant for their accelerated ninth graders a title that suggests it is a physical science textbook (including physics and chemistry), while also classifying it in their catalog as a physical science textbook, while suggesting it is a high school physics class for the better students. Maybe that article is not up to date and does not match up with the books they have now. I can't tell.

Edit: it's hard to find extensive samples of these books online, but here is a list of topics for the conceptual physics book on the left side of the page, many of which have accompanying videos if you click on them. You can sort of compare that to your BJU book, although you can't see the text and the types of questions asked. http://www.conceptualacademy.com/textbook/conceptual-physics

Edited by Penelope