Menu

Bio SAT subject test- E vs M

Tell me what we need to know about deciding between the 2 different Bio SAT subject tests. Thanks.

Ds is doing a basic bio text program this year, Holt, with extra stuff

I've added- labs, readings (EO Wilson, etc), & some Env Science.

I was a Biology/ Ecology major a looooong time ago & looking at the two different tests, the ecology seems way easier- but maybe that's just because of my background. He had some snags with the molecular content this year, but we could test prep that area if need be.

Is the scoring the same on the Two? Not wording that right- I mean, is the molecular harder but more people take the ecology perhaps making the grading easier on the molecular, like the scoring difference between Math 1 vs 2?

He hasn't taken either practice test yet, I'm just looking ahead to spring, which is coming soon:)

• Like 3

There is a single curve/scoring for Bio. It doesn't matter if the E or M subsection was taken.

For those who don't know, the Bio Subject test has 100 questions. Questions 1-60 are answered by everyone. Questions 61-80 are chosen by those taking the 'E' option, while questions 81-100 are chosen by those taking the 'M' option.

I would let your ds make his decision after he's covered most of biology. And he can change his pick at the very last minute, literally when he turns the page on the test booklet. One does not register for E or M, just Bio.

• Like 3

OP, this table from the College Board for SAT II exam scoring from 2015 answers some of your questions:

SAT Subject Tests Percentile Ranks

This table shows about 31,000 test takers for Ecological vs about 42,000 for Molecular.

How many problems you can miss for a given score (like 700) is pretty much the same for each of the two exams according the released sample tests I have from CB.

The above link shows that the same score corresponds to a higher % for Ecological than Molecular. For example, a score of 700 is at the 61st percentile for Molecular but 72nd percentile for Ecological. So it looks like there are more strong students taking the Molecular exam.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...