Menu

How to correctly punctuate this sentence......

I am just drawing a blank. The semi-colon does not belong, but I don't know how else to fix it.

In today's society communication is rampant. It comes in many forms. Through cell phone, television, and computers; today's society is free to express it's many opinions, thoughts and ideas.

Thank you!

I am just drawing a blank. The semi-colon does not belong, but I don't know how else to fix it.

In today's society communication is rampant. It comes in many forms. Through cell phone, television, and computers; today's society is free to express it's many opinions, thoughts and ideas.

Thank you!

Today's modern communication options of cell phones, television, and internet lead to rampant free expression of opinions, thought, and ideas.

(Sorry for changing the wording.....when I am really editing (which I rarely do here!!), being verbs drive me batty. ;) )

Thank you!

like this:

In today's society communication is r-a-m-p-a-n-t. It comes in many forms. Through cell phone, television, and computers, today's society is free to express its MANY opinions, thoughts and ideas.

;)

how's THAT for formatting? LOL!

If it's okay to do more tweaking, this is what I'd do:

In today's society, communication is rampant and comes in many forms. Through cell phone, television, and computers, today's society is free to express it's many opinions, thoughts and ideas.

If not, the leading prepositional phrase needs a comma after it, and a comma goes after computers as well.

If it's okay to do more tweaking, this is what I'd do:

In today's society, communication is rampant and comes in many forms. Through cell phone, television, and computers, today's society is free to express it's many opinions, thoughts and ideas.

If not, the leading prepositional phrase needs a comma after it, and a comma goes after computers as well.

But you didn't correct the "it's"!

Thank you!

Yet another suggestion. When in doubt, just say it a completely different way.

Modern society offers a seemingly endless wealth of communication venues. Cell phones, television and computers allow both groups and individuals a wide range of expression for their ideas, thoughts, and opinions.

Things I was trying to change: "being" verbs, repetition of the phrase "today's society", redundncy of "rampant" and "many forms", and finally...in this example I favor the progression of broad to narrow for "ideas, thoughts, and opinions."

Thank you!

You might point out to your dd that a semi-colon joins two complete sentences; if you replace the colon with a comma, the sentence is not bad.

I'm not sure that I would have said that communication is "rampant." That doesn't seem quite right.