Menu

Makeup tutorials for tween who wants to experiment and mom who wants her to look like a tween?

Dmmetler

Dd11, who has sensory issues and really has struggled with having makeup on her face for cheer competitions and dance recitals just bought herself a makeup kit with the intent of "trying it out". I wear makeup only rarely, and not much then. Because of the Sensory, I don't want to discourage her from trying it out and stretching herself, but I also want her to look like a young 11, not like a participant on Toddlers & Tiaras.

Any suggestions?

https://youtu.be/QiQYiILgl8E

This girl's a little heavy on the winged liner, but otherwise pretty makeup:

Lauren Curtis is our favorite vlogger.  She's a glamazon adult now, but her everyday makeup is minimal.  She's also got great advice.  She was overweight and awkward and not interested in boys or makeup in middle school.  She gives fantastic advice about not choosing a guy who only likes you in makeup.  And in her early videos she usually preferred cheap drugstore brands.     https://www.youtube.com/user/laurenbeautyy/videos

Edited by Katy
  • Like 2

Oh, a few more tips.

Cheap makeup is her friend for now.  Not just because it's cheap, but it's less pigmented so it's harder to get on way too much.

Expect her to put on way too much at first.  We have guidelines about what's appropriate in public at different ages.  That changes as they get better at a no-makeup makeup, but at first it's maybe mascara and lip gloss and that's it.

Thanks! I really don't think she needs to wear makeup yet (I'm 43 and rarely wear it), but I know from prior experience that when she starts pushing herself on something that is hard for her, that's something to encourage, because that's when she really gains-and if I don't let her do so now, it may be impossible for her later, when she really feels she needs it (like, say, for that all important "prom")

I still have a teen coming over to help out for a few hours a week to earn money for a cheer trip, so I may ask her to give DD some makeup tips. I haven't noticed that her everyday makeup stands out, which is a good sign.

• Like 3

You are already doing what I was going to suggest- getting an "expert" in to give your dd pointers. I rep for a cosmetic company and do that for moms preteens and teens a lot. It keeps it from turning into a power struggle between mom and daughter and avoids the "you just don't get it mom, you're so uncool." (Not that your daughter would say that. Just an example). The "expert" can show her what looks good and she will probably accept that better. Fyi I would talk to the teen ahead of time to give her guidelines and maybe even show her some pics of what you like.

Oh and I keep putting expert in quotes because the person doesn't have to actually be a makeup artist just someone that your child will perceive as having superior knowledge.

Does your dd wear lotion? If so, maybe she woudl swap it for a tinted moisturizer. If she wears Chapstick maybe a tinted one or a light lipstick might be a could swap. Just trying to think of easy ways to ease her in if you want her to start trying some makeup.

Edited by MSNative

It's not that I want her to, but that if she wants to do so, I don't want to discourage it. It seems like a fairly safe way for her to experiment with growing up a bit and stretch her sensory boundaries.

The impetus was that our local Walgreens still has a tiny amount of Christmas stuff at a deep discount, and she found a makeup advent calendar, which has little tiny eye shadows, a mascara, lip gloss, blush, and stuff like that. I think the cuteness crystallized something that she'd had at the back of her mind for awhile. I remember loving the Avon samples at about her age, and I think it's kind of the same thing.

• Like 3