Menu

Astronomy, cartography

http://www.amazon.com/As-Crow-Flies-First-Book/dp/0689717628/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1454614664&sr=8-2&keywords=As+the+crow+flies

For maps, As the Crow Flies was a favorite.

Jack Knowlton also has some good books, but 1st-2nd grade level, I think.

Also, making maps of kids room, immediate neighborhood

Using a simple trail map in a nature center

Make a compass with a cork and needle

Globe

For astronomy, I would recommend books in the Lets Read and Find Out series

Planetarium visit

Look for astronomy clubs that have kids nights (if you know astronomy yourself, look from home)

We did a neat project. I found a site where I could determine what direction planets were in now, then used planet sizes and average distances to make scale planets. Mercury was a tiny circle, sun was about 3 feet. We them put those planets around our town -- well, Pluto was in the next town. We taped our planets to trees and phone poles, iirc. Taught us a lot about (empty, more or less) space. I planned it out beforehand, so nothing would end up in a river, lol.

ETA

I would not recommend a telescope!

I almost forget -- Magic School Bus has some great astronomy videos

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

Don't forget Handbook of Nature Study has a section on the skies.

No matter what the science topic, you will find it in "nature study". For example there is some chemistry in the water and atmosphere sections.

Look for "Star Myths" as books and online resources.

Wiccans and Druids have some really interesting things for the moons. Farmer's Almanac is a good place to start learning about moon names and then compare what other cultures have named the moons.

The older geography books contain a lot of info about mapping and seasons and zones that will never go out of date. Payne's Geographical Nature Studies, C.C. Long's Home Geography, Charlotte Mason's Geographical Reader 1, Holden's the Sciences, Student's Friend volumes 1&2, and Hesperian's Community Health, combined with Handbook of Nature Study is a nice free geography sequence, focusing on all the topics that just don't change.

• Like 1

http://www.amazon.com/As-Crow-Flies-First-Book/dp/0689717628/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1454614664&sr=8-2&keywords=As+the+crow+flies

For maps, As the Crow Flies was a favorite.

Jack Knowlton also has some good books, but 1st-2nd grade level, I think.

Also, making maps of kids room, immediate neighborhood

Using a simple trail map in a nature center

Make a compass with a cork and needle

Globe

For astronomy, I would recommend books in the Lets Read and Find Out series

Planetarium visit

Look for astronomy clubs that have kids nights (if you know astronomy yourself, look from home)

We did a neat project. I found a site where I could determine what direction planets were in now, then used planet sizes and average distances to make scale planets. Mercury was a tiny circle, sun was about 3 feet. We them put those planets around our town -- well, Pluto was in the next town. We taped our planets to trees and phone poles, iirc. Taught us a lot about (empty, more or less) space. I planned it out beforehand, so nothing would end up in a river, lol.

ETA

I would not recommend a telescope!

I almost forget -- Magic School Bus has some great astronomy videos

I would love to hear more about this.  That sounds like an amazing project for a young child.

I think the H.A. Rey books look good if your child is into the constellations  

http://www.amazon.com/Find-Constellations-H-A-Rey/dp/054713178X  (says grades 4-6)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Stars-H-A-Rey/dp/0547132808/ref=pd_sim_14_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=21nHHL3jLOL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR123%2C160_&refRID=1MS7K8K4AFG3AJH53GS1  (says teen/young adult)

A note on the Handbook of Nature Study. Be careful which version you buy. I bought a hard copy and it was missing all the astronomy/night sky bits.  The one with the black cover (paperback) is the one you want.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1