Menu

Is it crazy to consider starting the process now?

Carrie12345

Ds left ps after 10th grade and enrolled in community college.  It was supposed to be a 2+2 plan, but he will be a bit short at the end of this semester. 

We just recently found out his primary residence will be moving soon, and he will be losing transportation to his current school. His only accessible option would require changing his major, which he does not want to do.

I would like to see him transfer to an on-campus arrangement, which will fix transportation issues and give him the opportunity to "start" with other 18 year olds.

I know there's at least one school of interest whose deadline is past, and there are a couple coming up real fast, but still a few that have more time (especially for transfers.)

Is this AT ALL realistic?  If we make a mad dash, is there a decent chance of pulling it off, or am I just delusional?   I'm pushing ds to meet with his adviser, but I'm getting a little frantic in the meantime.

Transfer students in our state university system can start any time: fall winter or spring quarter. If you're too late for fall, maybe just start after Christmas.

If you're trying for fall, though, hurry.

Edited by JanetC

Is he in a situation that he would have to be considered a transfer? The disadvantage that I see is that he would have less options for scholarships than a new freshman would have.

Yes, he's going to be considered a transfer whenever it happens.  He has fewer credits than originally planned for, but way too many to give up for freshman status!

Yes, he's going to be considered a transfer whenever it happens.  He has fewer credits than originally planned for, but way too many to give up for freshman status!

Did he officially graduate from high school? If not, many schools will consider him a freshman regardless of the number of the credits. They define a freshman as someone who as not taken college classes since high school graduation even if everything they took in their last few years of high school were college classes.

• Like 1

Did he officially graduate from high school? If not, many schools will consider him a freshman regardless of the number of the credits. They define a freshman as someone who as not taken college classes since high school graduation even if everything they took in their last few years of high school were college classes.

He got his HiSET. (GED, but not GED brand.)