Menu

New SAT testing schedule beginning 2017-18

In theory, I kind of like the late-August idea. Having summer time to prep, getting scores in well before the early admission deadlines, etc.

However, I'm concerned that it would mean fewer testing opportunities locally. The public schools here usually don't open until after labor day, so I'm guessing that they wouldn't offer a late-August date. So they wouldn't have either the August or the January date then.

I think I like this change.  Many schools still have activities going on in the buildings, even during the summer.  Test days are typically Saturdays, and tests are not held at every single school in a district, so they will probably be able to do the one test date, even if school hasn't started.

It gives another test date before early decision/early action deadlines.  The January may have been a date that not many people were signing up for.  It's mostly too late for seniors to use for admissions.  I'm not sure how many juniors are thinking about SAT and college applications at that point.

The other change I'd personally love to see is moving the May testing date to the weekend after the AP exams, rather than right in the middle of the two weeks of AP tests.  

I'd also like to see a no kidding summer test date in the middle of July.  But I'll take August.

• Like 1