Menu

Help! Mail stolen with sensitive info

carriede

So.

I put mail in the mailbox yesterday. No lock on the box. The mail was to our Credit Union with a deposit slip (with account number) and an endorsed check that both DH and I had signed. The check was an escrow refund from the bank we have our Mortgage with, so it's possible there was account information for the Mortgage on that check also.

I don't remember if I put the envelope in the mail box in the morning or afternoon, as I left the house twice that day. That said, this morning the flag indicator was still up, our mailbox was open, and it was empty. Our mail carrier has NEVER taken outgoing mail from our box without putting the flag down.

So, ultimately it is equally possible that the envelope was picked up by our mail carrier or that someone illegally took it/it got lost. But because of the sensitive nature of the contents, this is a BIG DEAL.

I want to wait about 5 days for the Credit Union the have the opportunity to receive and process said check, therefore proving all is well.

DH wants to file a police report NOW just to get this issue on the record. The Credit Union is closed on the weekend, so I can't ask for their advice or flag the account until Monday (it's now Saturday morning).

What would you do?

I expect we'll need to change account numbers at the Credit Union and watch our credit reports more closely as both our signatures were on there. Should I also contact the Mortgage bank about changing account numbers, or just tell them the check was lost? Would you wait it out a couple days to see if the check shows up?

Thank you for any advice. This is just what we need 5 weeks before my due date! :p

• Like 1

These things usually come up on a Friday night, before a holiday weekend, in my experience... The FIRST thing I would do would be to contact the company that issued the check, ASAP. Possibly they will put a "STOP PAYMENT" order on the check, with their bank, but there is usually a big fee involved for doing that, so it would not be uncommon for them to not  do that.  I haven't written or deposited a paper check in a number of years, but if I receive a Paper Check, I do a RESTRICTIVE ENDORSEMENT on the back of the check something like: "For deposit only to account number 1234 in XYZ Bank" and then I sign my name.  Hopefully, if someone got ahold of a check I'd endorsed like that, another bank would not cash it for them or allow them to deposit it into their account.  If in fact it was stolen from the mail, that is a Federal crime in the USA. I suggest that you go to your LOCAL post office, Monday morning.   GL

• Like 1

You could have had a substitute mail carrier, or your regular one got distracted for some reason.

Personally, I would not worry too much over the weekend and just call the credit union on Monday. You could call the police to ask for advice.

I would bet they forgot to put the flag down. Happens often on sub mail carriers or they are in a hurry.

Edited by itsheresomewhere

Most banks/credit unions I've dealt with have a 24 hour line in case your ATM card is stolen.  I'd call that.  But first, I'd call my local post office, and see if they can check with the mail carrier if they picked it up.  If s/he says, "yes", then problem/panic solved.

I generally do write "For Deposit Only" and my account number on checks.