Menu

Treating scars? Silicone tape, gel, Scar Away sheets?

alisoncooks

I have a raised scar from my recent ACL reconstruction surgery. I'm considering those Scar Away sheets (that claim to flatten and minimize) but whew! They are pricey!

Anyone have experience with treating a scar, minimizing its appearance? I'm only 4.5 weeks out, so still healing, but if I can help it along, I'd consider buying a product.

I have been using vitamin E to help with itching and dryness.

I had this same surgery over a year ago.  I didn't use anything on my scar, but it was massaged regularly at PT - this was *very* unpleasant.  My scar is visible, but does lay flat.  I'd take a picture but I haven't shaved in quite a while, it being winter and all :).  

I don't have any experience with the products you're asking about but I wanted to chime in with my experience & give you a bump.  Happy healing! :D

My dermatologist does suggest using the sheets. I bought mine on Amazon. I went through a pack after my appendectomy (traditional style with lots of digging, not laparoscopic).  It was a rough surgery and the scar showed it. They did seem to help some.  The ones I used were washable and reusable for a certain amount of uses. My scar is just above my waist line, and my shirt would rub and catch the corner of the sheet.  I used a bit of paper tape on the ends to hold it down, but even that would eventually curl. I had to play around to figure out the best angle to keep it from curling.

Overtime, I switched to the gel. The gel was more comfortable since it didn't catch on my clothing like the sheets did.   It seemed to help, but not as much as the sheets.  Eventually, I forgot to keep applying it.   My scar is still bad, but I tend to make fairly gnarly scars.  I do think it helped it look more normal, but for me that just means like a normal scar....not clear skin.  The stitch marks are pretty much gone, but the core scar is still prominent.

I used Scar Away sheets and Kelocote gel.

Here is some decent internet information about scars.

Edited by Tap

I used the sheets after a major abdominal surgery.  I had one spot were the stuff didn't stay in place well because of movement and catching on my clothes.  There is a HUGE difference in the scar between that area and the rest of the line.  Most of the line is perfectly smooth with just a bit of discoloration.  That area is still ropey looking and my surgery was 14 years ago.  Yes they were pricey but it made a huge difference for me.

Thanks for the feedback! I popped into the pharmacy today, on my way home from physical therapy. Yes, the sheets are spendy...but I'm calling it my reward/celebration for having made good progress this week. 😊 (Woo-hoo! I can finally sit in a chair comfortably, with my knee at a 90 degree bend.)

Fingers-crossed the scar sheets help!

• Like 1

I had this same surgery over a year ago. I didn't use anything on my scar, but it was massaged regularly at PT - this was *very* unpleasant. My scar is visible, but does lay flat. I'd take a picture but I haven't shaved in quite a while, it being winter and all :).

I don't have any experience with the products you're asking about but I wanted to chime in with my experience & give you a bump. Happy healing! :D

Thanks! I remember you chiming in on my other thread when I first hurt my knee. Surgery and recovery has been no joke! But I do feel I've turned a corner with this recent progress -- I can at least imagine a knee that'll work again, someday.

Interesting about the massage. I may look into that, too. I have some dimpling/puckering *beside* the incision from the internal/dissolvable stitches. I bet massage might help those areas.

Edited by alisoncooks