Menu

Treasured Conversations, Essentials in Writing?

lgliser

I've been researching this for daaaaaaayyyyyys!  My husband thinks I'm crazy!

I was looking into SWB's more current recommendations for WWE as we finish up WWE 3 this year.  We like it a lot but I'm totally game for doing something different for 4th grade.

Reading old posts here led me to Treasured Conversations, which sounds wonderful!

Writing and Rhetoric was also suggested and it looks really cool.

Essentials in Writing is appealing, as it's not super teacher intensive. 

Then I was looking at some more old threads this evening and see that some people put two programs together.  Like maybe Killgallon and Writing and Rhetoric.  Or some other combo.

This is what really overwhelms me!  I really want just ONE program for writing!  Like I have one thing for spelling.  One for math.  Etc. 

So, just kind of thinking "out loud" but I'd ultimately also love someone to compare TC and EIW.  Or could I do TC in 4th grade and then go to EIW the next year?

And we really like FLL so I am thinking go ahead and continue that for 4th grade too? 

We did EIW for 2nd grade and I really didn't like it. Maybe it was the DVD handling that annoyed me, that my babies were crying so my son couldn't hear, or the poor video quality. Most likely, the way he doesn't make eye contact with the camera. Ok, all shallow things. But this year in 3rd, he doesn't remember any of it. We ditched it pretty fast.

• Like 1

I can't compare them because I haven't used EIW. Treasured Conversations starts with a grammar-heavy section and you could mix in grammar through the rest of it if you are good at that sort of thing. (I'm not.) Just saying that you can keep doing FLL if you want, but you don't necessarily have to.

You can do just about anything before and after TC. It is fabulous. However, keep in mind that you might not run straight through it. Sometimes, it makes sense to park in one section or take a break between sections if your kid isn't ready for the next one. Just sayin'.

And if your kids (possibly just your girl) fall in love with Bushy like my girls did, let me know. Mine wrote a 'book' with Bushy & his best friend Cheddar as main characters after being so bummed that there were no more Bushy stories.  :laugh:

• Like 3

We did EIW for 2nd grade and I really didn't like it. Maybe it was the DVD handling that annoyed me, that my babies were crying so my son couldn't hear, or the poor video quality. Most likely, the way he doesn't make eye contact with the camera. Ok, all shallow things. But this year in 3rd, he doesn't remember any of it. We ditched it pretty fast.

That's too bad!  I feel like I've read mostly good things about EIW on these boards!

You can do just about anything before and after TC. It is fabulous. However, keep in mind that you might not run straight through it. Sometimes, it makes sense to park in one section or take a break between sections if your kid isn't ready for the next one. Just sayin'.

Glad to hear it.  I haven't read anything negative about it yet, so I have high hopes! 

My 4th grader is using Treasured Conversations and FLL4 (we went through FLL & WWE 1-3 in 1st-3rd then switched this year). I am really happy with it! I feel that TC meshes really well with SOTW4, which we are also using. SOTW4 has the student creating outlines, then halfway through the year they also begin writing from the outline - and both of those skills are taught in TC! I thought TC might be too redundant with FLL4 since the first several weeks we were doing grammar in both subjects, but in the end I think it helped cement things for DD - she is much better at diagramming sentences now that she had so much practice.

TC isn't a full 36 week program, so I'm thinking I will probably add in a short creative writing book at the end of the year.

Edited by allisonknits
  • Like 1

My 4th grader is using Treasured Conversations and FLL4 (we went through FLL & WWE 1-3 in 1st-3rd then switched this year). I am really happy with it! I feel that TC meshes really well with SOTW4, which we are also using. SOTW4 has the student creating outlines, then halfway through the year they also begin writing from the outline - and both of those skills are taught in TC! I thought TC might be too redundant with FLL4 since the first several weeks we were doing grammar in both subjects, but in the end I think it helped cement things for DD - she is much better at diagramming sentences now that she had so much practice.

TC isn't a full 36 week program, so I'm thinking I will probably add in a short creative writing book at the end of the year.

Oh wonderful!  Glad to know FLL and TC work just fine together!  I wish I had gone with Story of the World for our history....

How long does TC last?  (Assuming you breeze through it).