Menu

Medication with side effect of increased appetite

Night Elf

My dd17 just started a new medication. This is the 3rd medication she has tried. One side effect is weight gain, especially in teens, and increased appetite. She says it's horrible. She feels hungry all the time. What can she do to combat this problem? I suggested she drink more hot tea, which she really likes, but she said it only staves off the urge to eat for a little while. She likes some fruit but isn't always in the mood for it. She was thinking of gum. What else can she do when she gets the munchies? The medication is helping her with its intended treatment but if the increased appetite problem doesn't get better, we may need to ask the doctor to switch her yet again.

No expert here, I'm on meds that increase appetite and over the years - it's been a huge battle.  

Gum isn't a bad idea.  

What helps me most is hot drinks.  Coffee drinks, tea, that sort of thing.  I find it's the worst at night, and sometimes I can trick myself with a cup (or three) of hot tea and a cutie.

Keep healthy snacks around, obviously, and drink enough water.  

• Like 1

If you are talking about Lexapro, it caused both my son and I to gain a bunch of weight. We were always hungry. A different med was better.

No, she took that last summer and wasn't affected by side effects. The medication didn't help her problem though, so her doctor changed it. She's having a tough time finding the right medication and right dosage.

Fruit always makes me hungry. I'd go for high fat and protein snacks to see if that would help fill her up longer. Nuts, nut butters, avocados, hard boiled eggs, etc. I'm not sure if it would help since the hunger trigger is medical vs. natural, but protein and fat satiate hunger better than carbs and sugar.

• Like 2

I second hot liquids, but I would also try: 

1) foods that bulk up inside you. I happen to like dried seaweed. It seems to expand once eaten, and takes up room in the tummy. Chia seeds have a similar effect (but obviously, don't eat them alone.)

2) Exercise. Exercise is great healer. It resets our body chemistry, kicks off the process of repair in the body,  and sets off changes in the brain that maximize cell communication, etc. It is way more than "endorphin release."  I would try exercise to help regulate the other changes that are going on. 

Edited by Laurie4b