Menu

How do relaxed homeschoolers/unschoolers get into 4 year universities?

Daijobu, you probably shouldn't copy the entire article here for copyright reasons. Maybe a paragraph or brief description and then a link?

Thank you; I replaced the full text with a link.  It's easier to read that way, and there are some data tables as well. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd update a bit on this.  I've spent some time talking to parents of students that got rejected from the universities they wanted as well as parents part way through high school and gleaned this info from them.  It seems that the thought was that homeschooled students did not need to complete any of the requirements that public school do in order to graduate.  While this is true-- you can indeed issue a diploma from home with any classes that you choose, the state and private universities want you to complete the same coursework that public schools must do.  They want 4 math classes including Alg. 2, they want 4 English, 4 sciences including Biology, Chem and Physics.  If they skip the math, it shows on the SAT and ACT. 

It appears that many parents felt that interest led homeschooling would be enough, but their students had low test scores AND did not have the classes on their transcripts, so they got rejected.  I am thinking if they had high test scores, then the transcript would have been less important.

• Like 6

It appears that many parents felt that interest led homeschooling would be enough, but their students had low test scores AND did not have the classes on their transcripts, so they got rejected. I am thinking if they had high test scores, then the transcript would have been less important.

They would probably have found that information if they have attended any private high school admission talks given to parents of prospective students. (ETA: walk in without registration needed for some talks)

If their interest led homeschooling has led to their kids having some high level awards, that would still make the low test scores look like it was due to poor test taking skills.

Edited by Arcadia

Thought I'd update a bit on this.  I've spent some time talking to parents of students that got rejected from the universities they wanted as well as parents part way through high school and gleaned this info from them.  It seems that the thought was that homeschooled students did not need to complete any of the requirements that public school do in order to graduate.  While this is true-- you can indeed issue a diploma from home with any classes that you choose, the state and private universities want you to complete the same coursework that public schools must do.  They want 4 math classes including Alg. 2, they want 4 English, 4 sciences including Biology, Chem and Physics.  If they skip the math, it shows on the SAT and ACT. 

It appears that many parents felt that interest led homeschooling would be enough, but their students had low test scores AND did not have the classes on their transcripts, so they got rejected.  I am thinking if they had high test scores, then the transcript would have been less important.

I would think the low test scores are the #1 reason the students weren't accepted.  All the Universities we've looked at require at least a 21 on the ACT to even be considered for admission as a homeschooler.

Usually when I want to know what a uni is looking for in general from all students, I just google and am usually successful in pulling up a link that explains the school's requirements clearly. I haven't started calling up schools yet because so far I can find what I need online but if something is not clear to me I would call to ask. It's usually all there! Some schools also include a homeschooled student page now. All they had to do was search online!

• Like 4

Usually when I want to know what a uni is looking for in general from all students, I just google and am usually successful in pulling up a link that explains the school's requirements clearly. I haven't started calling up schools yet because so far I can find what I need online but if something is not clear to me I would call to ask. It's usually all there! Some schools also include a homeschooled student page now. All they had to do was search online!

I agree wholeheartedly, though some can make the mistake of confusing the minimal requirements to qualify for admission, with the actual test scores and awards and advanced coursework that will actually get you into the school.  UC's a-g requirements are a good example.  You can have all those, but it won't necessarily get you into Berkeley.  

• Like 3

I agree wholeheartedly, though some can make the mistake of confusing the minimal requirements to qualify for admission, with the actual test scores and awards and advanced coursework that will actually get you into the school.  UC's a-g requirements are a good example.  You can have all those, but it won't necessarily get you into Berkeley.  

Yes, very true.

OP, hope my tone didn't come across as anything other than feeling sad that they missed a chance when it could have been rectified. We are somewhat relaxed/ unschooly in a few areas too and I have attended workshops held by people who unschool and some of these kids do amazing, amazing things via the independent study path.

• Like 2

Would the parents be open to going through community college and transfer? They may not get the college they want but transfer agreements are pretty strong here.

UC's a-g requirements are a good example. You can have all those, but it won't necessarily get you into Berkeley.

At least the child won't be in limbo assuming lack of lots of required subjects. Satisfying a-g requirements even if the child just pass every single requirement would have either gotten the child a place at a less popular UC or CSU.

I do know someone's child who wanted UCB but won't put in the work. He got into UCSC and is annoyed by the rejection but doing well.

• Like 1

Re-reading the OP...I missed some details. I'm not sure about the public universities in question. For the University of California system, there is an admission option where you can provide supplementary information if requirements for one or both paths (courses taken and examinations) are not fulfilled. The UC system does not accept course descriptions though so this would have to be communicated through the application portal. Or through essays. Perhaps that might be an option for the future?