Menu

BYU independent study foreign language

My three girls took all four of the high school Latin classes.  We liked them, but obviously they didn't have a speaking component.  I think learning a foreign langauge is hard without a native speaker to help with pronounciation.  I think foreign language study is the hardest subject for homeschoolers unless one of the parents is fluent.  If your goal is exposure, it might be fine.  If your child shows real interest, you may want to switch to community college to continue on.

• Like 1

I think there was someone on here taking the Arabic class or planning to take it? There is supposed to be a speaking/conversation component...

BYU Arabic 1 was dd's second choice last year when she decided to go with Potter's School Arabic 1. She wanted an actual live class for language.

BYU Arabic, at least, does have a speaking component. It's been a while since I visited the website but I remember reading about weekly (?) phone conversations with the teacher or a TA. This is in addition to the audio disks that come with the textbook (Alif Baa and then al-Kitaab, the same ones used by almost all high school and college Arabic classes in this country).

Edited by Luckymama
  • Like 1

I looked at BYU last year and can't remember exactly why I decided to go with CLRC. I think if CLRC did not offer Arabic, I would have gone with TPS. It seemed like BYU would be the last choice. Maybe it was the lack of class time? This semester at CLRC there is a new teacher, a native speaker from Egypt, (still using Mastering Arabic 1 which has a textbook, workbook, and audio CD). Last semester was a lot of work with Dr. Godwin (he is now doing a post-doc so CLRC has a new teacher). He pushed the students, and they came out doing very well even for just one semester. CLRC has a tiny class size, meets twice per week.

• Like 1

Dd is taking teacher-supported Japanese through BYU. The self-paced option is taking longer than a normal online class which I don't care for. The classes at TPS were more rigorous and easier to keep up with, but they don't teach Japanese. If I could find a live teacher option that was better than BYU I would seriously consider changing.

• Like 1