Menu

MUS Alg 1 test/worksheet discrepancies

DS struggled early on with math...  when he got to a level of Singapore that became challenging, we switched to the David Quine math program (MMM-so confusing to both my engineer hubs and I, even at mid elementary level), then to MUS for a few levels.  Then Saxon 5/4 when we started CC Foundations. Saxon was NOT his thing, so we went back to MUS. When he started the CC Challenge program, he wanted to try Saxon again, 8/7.  We both cried through the two hours a day math lessons for a semester. The following semester, we picked up where we left off with MUS and sped through the entire next level in two months. The following level was done in about 6 months. Then we had to slow down about mid-Zeta because he had 'leveled' out.  

I had some concerns about starting Alg 1 because of the MUS Alg reputation, but he was concerned with getting further behind with yet another program that didn't make sense to him.  I really liked the look of Foerster's, but, at his request, ordered MUS Alg 1.   

The trouble I am having is that the tests are all multiple choice.  Which means that he can figure out enough of the problem to guess the correct answer when he is not completely sure how to solve it.  He is getting 100% on nearly every test.  Why is this a problem? Because he is consistently missing several problems on every worksheet.  It is illogical that he should be able to get 100% on  a test covering material that he is missing on the worksheets.  Yes, we cover each problem on the board.  Yes, he's gotten better since we discovered that his issue is not in doing or understanding the problem once he gets started, but in actually identifying which type of problem he is looking at and knowing the correct process to use).

Not sure if we need to ditch MUS Alg 1 (loathe to do this) and go with something else, or if there is a way to make the tests measure actual ability and understanding.  DS is in 9th and is visual spatial who wants to go into either engineering or architecture, so he really does need a math that he can understand (without 2 hours of tears every day).  Thanks!!  

I'm sorry if I'm totally off-base but your description sounds so much like my oldest dd that it's eerie. She would spend two hours with Saxon in tears, and still not finish. She sailed through MUS when we used it. Lots of white space. She also did very well with Foerster's. Great formatting with nice neat columns.  MUS is considered easier and Foerster's is considered harder but she did equally well with them because they had formatting her eye-brain could handle. Saxon, on the other hand, is a visual nightmare for kids like this.

In addition to having a regular eye exam, have you ever had his visual abilities (ocular motor, visual-motor, visual processing) tested? I would have never guess my dd had a visual problem (with good eyesight) if I had not gone through testing. But once we did, so many things made sense. 

If you want a practical answer, I'd go with copying out the test problems on a clean sheet of paper or whiting out /covering up the multiple choice answers on the MUS tests.

If you want him prepared for an engineering/architecture route, I'd try Foersters and see how that works. But maybe still go through MUS first.

If you want to figure out why he's having these difficulties in the first place, I might start with an optometrist who is a member of covd.org.

Yes, MUS uses all multiple choice test for Algebra 1 and above and have for at least 5 years, that's how long ago we started using it. 

We had issues with multiple choice tests too. The solution for me was to require all work be shown or no credit. Copying the test without the answers doesn't work because many of the questions are "which of these something" The problems are in the answers, not the question. 

Is he guessing or is he just avoiding silly mistakes by those answers not being available? If he knows how to do the problems and is just making small mistakes on the worksheets, I don't see any issue at all with the tests coming out perfect. It shows he understands the concepts even if he is a bit sloppy still. OTOH, I switched dd away from MUS because she could get 100% on everything without doing any work at all. The problems were just too easy. She could do it all in her head, but then when she couldn't apply that to  a harder problem. She wasn't gaining understanding, just the ability to do easy problems.

I think your challenge is to determine whether he is really learning from MUS. If so, getting A's is no reason to leave it :). Require him to show work and if he can't show work, he can't get credit. That should eliminate guess work and hopefully will show you that the multiple choice tests are just reducing his careless errors.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Thanks.  Frustrating to spend $$ on a curriculum with the intent of it being 'open and go' just to have to spend time revise the tests.  :mad: Not that math is ever open and go here, but that is all the more reason that I spend the $ for a program that has the basic admin details already covered.  I know, I know, I'm preaching to the choir!   

The trouble with having him work out the problem given is that the answer key only gives the letter choice and the correct answer (i.e.  D: Y=2X-4).  It does not explain how to solve anything.  That is ok if he gets it right, and even if he can ID his error, but if not, I really need that step by step process in order to instruct him.  I've thought of taking various problems from the worksheets and adding onto the test, but again, that is 'one more thing' in this already overwhelmed mind to keep up with.  

Tiramisu, we did take all of our kids to a COVD doc last summer.  He ruled out any eye/vision/processing issues for all of them, though sometimes it still seems *something* is amiss... not necessarily eye related, just *something*.   

• Like 1

When he misses those problems on the worksheet, is it really the algebra or is it piddly arithmetic mistakes?  My vsl is in the piddly arithmetic mistake category.  Algebra is forcing her to be a bit more careful about that, but she's rarely perfect.  

I think if he's capable of getting 100% on tests, then he seems to understand what he's doing.  Maybe the multiple choice aspect takes the piddly arithmetic mistakes out of the scenario for him, so he can use his big picture way of viewing things.

Just my two cents.  :)

• Like 1

You don't have to use the tests at all.  You might consider using one of the worksheets as a "test" (hold one in reserve for each lesson).  My oldest is doing MUS Geo and I have not found the tests to be particularly useful because they are very, very basic. 

Edited by HomeschoolingHearts&Minds
  • Like 3

I actually like the tests being multiple choice because it's good practice for standardized tests.

The A-E pages matter just as much as tests IMO.  Really, I just consider the tests another worksheet.  If he's getting 100s on the tests it is definitely not all guessing.

• Like 3

I think if he's capable of getting 100% on tests, then he seems to understand what he's doing.  Maybe the multiple choice aspect takes the piddly arithmetic mistakes out of the scenario for him, so he can use his big picture way of viewing things.

That would only be true if the problems were designed carefully so that "reverse engineering" were impossible. It is unlikely this is the case. Frequently, a student can plug answer options into the problem and try out what works - that is not the same as being able to solve the problem.

To the OP: I would require the student to show all work in order to receive credit, and not give credit for any guessed correct answer.

• Like 1

If you're really concerned, make the last worksheet 50% of the test score. (Or, at least the "new" problems on the worksheet, if you don't want to consider the review work part of the test.)

Any test questions that he gets wrong, make him rework the problem in front of you and see if he can find his mistake and discover the correct answer.

Also, having him show his work has value even if you aren't able to check how he solved it--at least he has to work out in his mind how to logically get to an answer, and he'd be more likely to really understand the problem.

It's been too long since I did Alg. 1 to remember, but in Alg. 2, it does show how they come to the solution for tests. I think it did for geometry as well, but that was last year, don't quote me!

However, I do actually take the time to understand and follow along in my kids' math, and I rework all of the problems they get wrong, so I can understand their mistakes and how to teach them. Then, they redo the problem with me present and walk through their choices step by step. Usually they find their own errors in the process of doing this, but I also learn that they have conceptual misunderstandings sometimes, and this is the way to clear them up. To me it's worth the time and effort to do this. 

You might call MUS to see if they either have fully worked solutions for the Alg. 1 tests, or an alternate suggestion for your situation. 

The trouble with having him work out the problem given is that the answer key only gives the letter choice and the correct answer (i.e.  D: Y=2X-4).  It does not explain how to solve anything.  That is ok if he gets it right, and even if he can ID his error, but if not, I really need that step by step process in order to instruct him. 

While you might consider this a nuisance, it isn't THE problem. You still need to require him to show work, even if you can't check the work. You can check to see that he is working out the problems and that will show he has understanding. If you come to one you are both stumped on, MUS support will help or you can post it on these boards and someone will solve it for you.

Regentrude is right about reverse engineering. I think that is how dd could ace MUS and gain NO understanding (Algebra and above only she did great with it prior to that). Making him show work is key. I would content MUS customer support and ask if they have complete solutions available for the tests. I never noticed that they weren't because I was always able to solve all the problems myself.

We have the same problem with a different Algebra program. My dd does great with the multiple choice quizzes at the end of each lesson but then doesn't do as well on the chapter tests that aren't multiple choice. Most of the time it's easy calculation mistakes. I am going to start creating my own lesson quizzes for her with no multiple choice answers, taking questions from the extra practice sheets she doesnt do. She seems to be understanding the math but I want her to work on checking answers to avoid calculation mistakes.

So much great advice here!   I'm usually able walk through enough of the problem with him for him to understand errors, even if I do not fully understand the process.  My goal was to do math with him, but he much prefers to work independently (with discussion later).  I think that going forward, I will go ahead and count the final review page as 1/2 the test grade and also require that he show work on the test.  Great suggestions.

I do sometimes have my older ds check the work, but the MUS method is so different than what he's done in Saxon/TT/ and a b&m school.  He usually can walk us both through a problem, but often not in the way MUS teaches.  Typically I can translate between programs once older explains.  He's just at the b&m in the afternoons, or at work, so not always available. 

Thanks for all the help!!!!    :)

Edited by jetzmama
  • Like 1