Menu

Should I ask for PSAT testing accommodations? And how?

14 yr old has Aspergers. I am unsure what accommodations he would need. But, if he gets too stressed, he will meltdown and be unable to continue. I am concerned about him being disruptive in a test room if he has a meltdown. He is pretty smart academically though. What do you think?

To get accommodations you will need something from a doctor. What are you looking for - separate testing, extended breaks, etc?

To get extended test time, you need psychological testing showing that they actually NEED the extended time. - learning disabilities affecting their output.

You can download the application for accommodations easily and take a look at it and see if you want to proceed. If you think he needs accommodations and/or will get them, I'd say go ahead and try to get them and at worst you are the same as if you had never tried.

Do you want accommodations to keep your son from getting stressed or are you simply concerned about the other people in the room taking the test?  If it is the former, you're going to need to decide exactly what accommodations you want and those accommodations need to be recommended in writing by the person who diagnosed him with Asperger's.  If it is the latter, I'd call the College Board, explain the situation, and see what they suggest.

• Like 1

14 yr old has Aspergers. I am unsure what accommodations he would need. But, if he gets too stressed, he will meltdown and be unable to continue. I am concerned about him being disruptive in a test room if he has a meltdown. He is pretty smart academically though. What do you think?

Another possibility is that, since he is 14, he could use the practice test at home, and not take the real test for another year or two, when he has had a chance to catch up.

Many children who are emotionally but not academically ready at 14 do that. One or two years can make a big difference.

He gets evaluated and such through the public school so we have a current IEP. I called the school to renew it for the next few years. But, he also was evaluated through the children's hospital.

Since he has an IEP and you have contacts at a ps, talk to them. They can make the request instead of you, and from my friend who is a director of special ed, requests made by schools are almost universally approved. Knowing his test results, they can help you decide what to ask for and they can actually do an online application which is faster than the homeschool process as well.

He gets evaluated and such through the public school so we have a current IEP. I called the school to renew it for the next few years. But, he also was evaluated through the children's hospital.

Does his current IEP have extended time for tests? In our district the child study team does all the college board work for you, and you automatically get a letter from CB authorizing extra time. Nothing for parent to do.

If you son does not have extra time in his IEP now, I would speak with your case manager asap.

But I have heard, anecdotally, that CB does not look favorably on kids who suddenly get their first IEP right before testing.

Edited by Alessandra