Menu

Confirmation gift - book - CC

Bluegoat

I want to get a book for my daughter as a confirmation gift.  She's 10.

I am thinking of getting something on prayer, the Christian life, or a devotion book.  It needs to be suitable for a thoughtful 10 year old, but I want to avoid anything silly or childish.  Right now she used an evening devotional made up of selections by Julian of Norwich, and reads the psalms, so something of comparable level.

I had thought of some C.S. Lewis - we have Mere Christianity and The Screwtape Letters, but I though perhaps The Problem of Pain or The Four Loves?  But those are easy to come by.  Something set out with readings for each night, or on the practice of prayer, is more what I am looking for.

We're Anglican, but could potentially use things from a variety of traditions.

The first thing that came to mind is an nice Anglican rosary, if she doesn't already have one. The Women's Guild at our old parish used to make them, and I've seen them online. I really love mine. Although I don't use it often, when life is really overwhelming and I have trouble focusing while praying, the rosary is enormously beneficial. 

We have a delightful volume entitled "Reading for the Daily Office from the Early Church," (ed. Wright) but I think it would not be a thrilling gift for even the most thoughtful 10-year old.

I'll keep pondering, and come back if I think of anything else.

(If you use the '79 BCP, would she like a bound BCP/hymnal combo? I think most Anglican parishes may end up switching to the new ACNA prayer book eventually, though...)

• Like 1

The first thing that came to mind is an nice Anglican rosary, if she doesn't already have one. The Women's Guild at our old parish used to make them, and I've seen them online. I really love mine. Although I don't use it often, when life is really overwhelming and I have trouble focusing while praying, the rosary is enormously beneficial. 

We have a delightful volume entitled "Reading for the Daily Office from the Early Church," (ed. Wright) but I think it would not be a thrilling gift for even the most thoughtful 10-year old.

I'll keep pondering, and come back if I think of anything else.

(If you use the '79 BCP, would she like a bound BCP/hymnal combo? I think most Anglican parishes may end up switching to the new ACNA prayer book eventually, though...)

THose are some good ideas.  Maybe even the book - she really likes the Julian of Nowich devotional which surprised me a lot - she spent her own money on it at a book sale. 

We are in Canada, so we use the Canadian BCP, which is more or less like the American 1928, and my parish also uses the old lectionary.  I had thought of getting her a BCP of her own. 

I may end up getting a few things, maybe a book and a rosary, or a Lewis book and a devotional?

• Like 1