Menu

Grammar help with my third grader

Piper

I am using R&S 3 with my ds. He's 8, and this is his first year of formal grammar. I have used/am still using R&S with my dd, and I'm convinced it's a very sound program. However, it's just not as effective for my ds.

My dd is like me, and finds language arts easy. However, my ds has more of a "mathy" brain, and LA is just a lot more of a struggle. When we got to the end of the section in the text on nouns, I found that he hadn't really got all the concepts, so I decided to go back over that section again. But I still don't think that he's really getting it.

For example, he knows that a plural noun names more than one, while a singular noun names only one. But when I asked him what type of noun names only one, he looked at me blankly until I had emphasised the "only one" part several times. (Ironically, he had no problem with applying these concepts in Latin!!)

I'm at a bit of a loss how to present it all to him so that he really gets the concepts and is able to integrate them. Math is easy - just whip out the base 10 blocks and we're good to go! But I don't know what else to try with grammar. Do I just keep soldiering on through R&S, going over the reviews and quizzes again until it's drummed into his brain? Do I switch up the program? And if so, what?? I feel like he'd get it all no worries if it were just all in nice, numbery tables and flow charts - turn it into math! :)

Thanks for any insights!

I am using R&S 3 with my ds. He's 8, and this is his first year of formal grammar. I have used/am still using R&S with my dd, and I'm convinced it's a very sound program. However, it's just not as effective for my ds.

My dd is like me, and finds language arts easy. However, my ds has more of a "mathy" brain, and LA is just a lot more of a struggle. When we got to the end of the section in the text on nouns, I found that he hadn't really got all the concepts, so I decided to go back over that section again. But I still don't think that he's really getting it.

For example, he knows that a plural noun names more than one, while a singular noun names only one. But when I asked him what type of noun names only one, he looked at me blankly until I had emphasised the "only one" part several times. (Ironically, he had no problem with applying these concepts in Latin!!)

I'm at a bit of a loss how to present it all to him so that he really gets the concepts and is able to integrate them. Math is easy - just whip out the base 10 blocks and we're good to go! But I don't know what else to try with grammar. Do I just keep soldiering on through R&S, going over the reviews and quizzes again until it's drummed into his brain? Do I switch up the program? And if so, what?? I feel like he'd get it all no worries if it were just all in nice, numbery tables and flow charts - turn it into math! :)

Thanks for any insights!

It's ok if he isn't completely getting it now, because he'll get it next year, and the year after, and the year after that.

Do the lesson with him (you don't have to, because everything in the scripted lessons in the TM is in the student text, but it will add some warm-fuzzy face time), then assign the seat work. Don't worry about "presenting" it to him any way except what is in the lesson. Yes, he should do the assignments on paper, not orally. Check each section after he does it, and make corrections then. And move on. I wouldn't do the quizzes.

• Like 1

There is a Montessori system for marking parts of speech, IIRC, that may be appealing to him. Or you can make an anchor chart together.

Don't worry--when the mathy ones get older, they're often very good with the more procedural parts of grammar (like identifying a direct object).

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 1

I would venture to say that I would switch to another program. I agree that r&s is a solid program but it may not be right for him at this time.

I use Rod and Staff with oldest dd but there was no way it was going to work for my youngest dd in the early grades because of a language delay. So I used FLL 1-2 then switched to Winston Grammar this year for forth grade and plan to use rod and staff next year. FLL is gentle and has a lot of repetition that drove us batty but it worked perfectly. There are many things I learned from using FLL that I still use now along with games I made up to help the concepts in her head.

Also take into consideration that your son is still young and at this age it is common for them to forget that is why constant repetition is sometimes needed.

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat as you.  I'm actually trying to decide if I want to continue with R&S for my son or try something else out.  R&S is so easy to teach but my son is bored with the curriculum.  I tried the SL LA and it makes my head spin.  We tried FLL1 and the repetition drove us nuts.  I'm going to piggy back on your question so I can get some suggestions too!

• Like 1

That's not unusual for an 8yo. I'd do the lessons with him, doing lots of it orally, putting diagrams on a white board. Make him demonstrate understanding before setting him loose on independent work.

You may not see a huge improvement this year, but next year those concepts are all going to be repeated as they're taken deeper. It's totally okay if he doesn't grasp it all as an 8yo. Anything in that 3 book that is important *will* be repeated year after year of grammar studies.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your replies! I needed the reminder that yes, of course, R&S will be repeating the important stuff again...and again...and again...over the next few years. Thank you, you have helped calm me down about this, and I think I will just keep on keepin' on, and let time do its work.

• Like 1

He may a prefer a whole-to-parts approach. My DS is loving MCT for grammar.

Given your title of Advocatus Diaboli, should I say, Vade retro??? ;) I went and looked at MCT, and it does look nice. My weakness is that I feel like I should use all. the. curriculum.  All of it!!! Especially the shiny, colorful stuff!! Or my kid will Miss Out!!!!!!   :laugh:  (Don't worry, I don't act on that - my kids, and my pocketbook, would both rebel, and I would probably go insane!)

I will keep on with what I have for now, for sure. I know he's getting a sound program, and I do believe he'll grasp it better over the next year or two. But now there is something else filed away in the back of my brain, should the need for a change arise in the future. Thanks!

• Like 1