Menu

Has anyone's DC applied to Penn State UP campus?

ValRN

I'm just curious to know if anyone who has applied to Penn State has heard back.

DS applied and had his app packet complete by the 1st week in September; however, he hasn't heard back. There are lots of students who have their acceptances; some who have even applied after DS (and PS supposedly has rolling admissions). This isn't his top choice school, and DS doesn't seem to be bothered by not hearing, but I'm feeling a little snubbed. I think DS  has good stats (great, compared to some accepted students' stats seen on another board). 

I'm wondering if it could be a homeschooling thing because when I look on the 2016 College Acceptances post on this forum, I don't see Penn State listed. Have any of your students applied to Penn State? If so, have you heard anything back?

This is just how Penn State admissions works (my daughter is a freshman at a branch). If your student applied by Nov. 30th, you'll get a decision by Jan 30th. If you check College Confidential, numerous students with high stats are in the same boat.  Rest assured that homeschoolers are given the same consideration as students from b&m schools. Since my daughter was high stats (in the top 6 students) for her freshman class at her branch, she was awarded a Presidential Scholarship (tied to the campus honors program). She had a fantastic first semester and no one seems to care that she was homeschooled.

My twins applied and were accepted, however, they were b&m students by then.  I suggest calling to follow-up as ds didn't hear anything after his sister was accepted and it turned out his guidance counselor hadn't submitted his transcript, at least by the early deadline.  I don't know what would have happened if he hadn't followed up with a phone call.  As soon as that was straightened out, he was accepted.

I know of a traditional homeschooler going to the Main campus as a freshman, so homeschoolers must be getting in.  I don't know any homeschoolers locally who got in.  One in particular did dual enrollment at a PS local campus and got As in those classes and did really well on the SATs, but he didn't get into UP.  He ended up getting a really good academic scholarship at a private college and went there instead.

This is just how Penn State admissions works (my daughter is a freshman at a branch). If your student applied by Nov. 30th, you'll get a decision by Jan 30th. If you check College Confidential, numerous students with high stats are in the same boat.  Rest assured that homeschoolers are given the same consideration as students from b&m schools. Since my daughter was high stats (in the top 6 students) for her freshman class at her branch, she was awarded a Presidential Scholarship (tied to the campus honors program). She had a fantastic first semester and no one seems to care that she was homeschooled.

Is the Presidential Scholarship the name for the honors program scholarship, or was she awarded an additional scholarship?  The reason I'm asking is because I was one of the first graduates under the Schreyer name, almost eighteen years ago, and with my daughter entering high school next year, college is looming.  I don't know if she'd even be interested in PSU (although we have pictures of her at the Lion at ten weeks old, LOL), but I was wondering how the honors scholarship is panning out these days.  Back in my day, it was a quarter of PA tuition, and a lot of departments matched it (not mine); now I understand that it's a flat scholarship amount, but I wondered if there were other matching or accompanying scholarships that are common.  We're in state now, and even with the honors college scholarship, it's still far more than I paid for out of state tuition, so it's a little depressing.  Just wondering if there's more merit aid available for high stats students than just the Schreyer scholarship.

I talked to an admissions rep a few months ago, and they were very happy to work with homeschooled students, so good luck to those of you who are waiting to hear!

Is the Presidential Scholarship the name for the honors program scholarship, or was she awarded an additional scholarship?  The reason I'm asking is because I was one of the first graduates under the Schreyer name, almost eighteen years ago, and with my daughter entering high school next year, college is looming.  I don't know if she'd even be interested in PSU (although we have pictures of her at the Lion at ten weeks old, LOL), but I was wondering how the honors scholarship is panning out these days.  Back in my day, it was a quarter of PA tuition, and a lot of departments matched it (not mine); now I understand that it's a flat scholarship amount, but I wondered if there were other matching or accompanying scholarships that are common.  We're in state now, and even with the honors college scholarship, it's still far more than I paid for out of state tuition, so it's a little depressing.  Just wondering if there's more merit aid available for high stats students than just the Schreyer scholarship.

I talked to an admissions rep a few months ago, and they were very happy to work with homeschooled students, so good luck to those of you who are waiting to hear!

The Schreyers Honors College requires a separate application, essay, and interview. I believe the scholarship is $4,000 per year, but don't quote me on that. The Presidential Scholarship is not attached to Schreyers, but to the branch campus honors program.There's really little to no true merit aid for freshman at PSU these days. For instance, the National Merit scholarship is $2,000 per year.

Unfortunately, Penn State is pretty well known for being extremely poor with aid.  :glare:

I'm just curious to know if anyone who has applied to Penn State has heard back.

DS applied and had his app packet complete by the 1st week in September; however, he hasn't heard back. There are lots of students who have their acceptances; some who have even applied after DS (and PS supposedly has rolling admissions). This isn't his top choice school, and DS doesn't seem to be bothered by not hearing, but I'm feeling a little snubbed. I think DS  has good stats (great, compared to some accepted students' stats seen on another board). 

I'm wondering if it could be a homeschooling thing because when I look on the 2016 College Acceptances post on this forum, I don't see Penn State listed. Have any of your students applied to Penn State? If so, have you heard anything back?

My DS received his acceptance notice today.

• Like 5