Menu

Microscope - help please!

Jess4879

I want to get a microscope this year that will last us through high school.  I want a quality scope, but don't want to spend extra $$ on bells and whistles that I don't need.  I have tried reading through multiple buyers guides, but I am so confused!!  I emailed a couple places and they were all very helpful, but they all recommended microscopes that are on US sites and I can't seem to find those models elsewhere.  I'm in Canada and our dollar sucks right now, so I really need something sold in Canada.  Would anyone be willing to check out Amazon.ca or http://www.microscopenet.com/  and give me some options of what would be a good microscope to buy?  I don't have an exact budget, but would like to spend as little as possible to get the features I absolutely need. 

We purchased the Celestron 44104 from U.S. amazon back when my oldest was in middle school. It had dipped below $100 U.S. on some gold box deal, I think. We've now used it through high school biology and have been fully satisfied. It's also on amazon.ca (currently out of stock though). Its one review is a single star, but only because the product arrived broken.

Erica in OR 

• Like 1

Hi Jess,

I'm in Ontario.  We bought an AmScope microscope and it is lovely to use. 

At AmScope the price is $ 199 - on sale right now!  Here is the link: http://www.amscope.com/40x-2500x-led-digital-monocular-compound-microscope-w-3d-stage-1-3mp-usb-imager.html

At Amazon.ca the price is $ 556  here is the link: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00A15CTRQ?keywords=Amscope%20M620C-E1&qid=1452478705&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

We went with one with a digital camera because our kids have an eye condition.

Edited by AmyontheFarm
  • Like 1

Just wanted to put in 2 cents for the Brock Magiscope.  

It's a quality-made product that's designed to last "forever."  Very few working parts and made of solid steel, brass, etc.  It's very simple in its design.  It's a classic.  You can purchase different tubes for various lens strengths.  No cords--uses a glass light tube.  Very easy for even the youngest to learn to adjust.  Super if you wanted to pack it up and take it to the ocean, forest, or on a field trip somewhere.  

http://www.magiscope.com

I guess it's designed to be a kids' / student microscope, but honestly, my husband and I both have science degrees and backgrounds (ag, forestry); he's a biologist in the field and we love it!  Great for anything related to gardening (instects, plants, etc.), things found out in nature...This is a good household microscope that we will use for a lifetime.  If my kids don't want it someday, we'll keep it.  It sits out on our windowsill so anyone can use it on a whim.  

As a side-benefit, I think it's beautifully-made and looks great sitting out vs. models that look like they belong in a lab.  Sitting out, it's used more than if I had to drag it out of a closet.  I know the kids often wouldn't make the effort to wait for Mom to do that vs. just getting it down themselves.  It's sturdy enough for a small child to use, with a bit of instruction and help.

We haven't tried anything technology-related with it yet.  Meaning, I know some microscopes can be hooked up to a computer, projected onto a screen, take photos, etc.  Maybe there are ways to configure this microscope that way, but we haven't tried.  

I'm sorry--a quick post and I can't look into Canadian/US prices, retailers, etc. right now.  Just wanted to add to the discussion for anyone looking for microscopes. 

ETA: This is on the pricier-side, in my opinion--given as a gift by very thoughtful relatives who wanted to buy something of quality.  If you divide the cost by years used, it's very reasonable.  I would consider saving for a bit to get something good that will last many years / decades.

Edited by vonbon
  • Like 1

I agonized over this. DH finally said, "When you need a scope, just order it, but not until you really can't get by without it."

We had a very inexpensive battery-powered duo scope ($60ish) that did what we needed for elementary school. Dd was pretty rough on it because it could go outside.

We have occasionally borrowed a better scope (maybe a total of 7 days- we used it a lot the first few days). Our library has a Brock scope that checks out (I don't really think it would work for cells). We also have one of these: http://www.hometrainingtools.com/pocket-microscope-100x

I just finished writing the schedule for my dd's high school-level, introduction to biology course for next year. I've decided I don't want to buy a scope. We don't really need it.

I don't want to store it for one thing, and a state park 45 minutes from our house runs classes on using a scope, which we will sign up for if they let us (dd is too young for their official minimum age). If they don't let us, I will either borrow a scope, or just wait until she does AP and do their microscope classes then.

The take-away? Make sure you really need a scope. They are expensive, (but fun) and take up a surprising amount of space.

• Like 2

After a lot of research we've decided on the brock microscope over the amscope. The reason for us is it will last and we can take it out if we go to the beach, forest etc. And look at things they've found. I wouldn't want to take an electric microscope to the beach. It looks like something we will be able to use for decades and has different lenses we can add later if we decide we want to. The creater also has very good qualifications.

Eta: this isn't a budget microscope but if you consider how long it will last I figure it is worth the money.

Edited by Momto4inSoCal
  • Like 1

I agonized over this. DH finally said, "When you need a scope, just order it, but not until you really can't get by without it."

I agree with this.  Your curriculum or class may specify what sort of scope is needed, so you may as well wait until you are required to buy one.  

I like having a mechanical stage, but if you are only going up to 400X you can probably get by without it.

You can probably get by without the 1000x, as they are oil immersion, and it's easy to forget and get oil onto the other lenses, or break the 1000x lens itself.  But you do want 1000x if you want to visualize bacteria.  

I bought a microscope when oldest was in middle school that only goes up to 400x, but now I'm thinking it would be fun to gram stain some bacteria, so I'll probably sell it to another homeschooling family and upgrade to a scope with the 1000x.  Good luck!  

• Like 1