Menu

Quickest overnight shipping for an envelope?

Catherine

Well... we just sent youngest his computer charger via USPS overnight mail so he'd have it before his Greece trip.  I believe it was $19.  Youngsters - gotta love them, right?  "Do you have everything - your computer, etc."  "Yes!" with sort of a "Dearest Parent" scowl...

However, I'd expect Canada to be more expensive and would probably use UPS or Fed Ex since it's not USPS territory.

• Like 1

DHL is *the* best carrier for International shipments. However, I suspect FedEx or UPS would be perfectly fine, for something only going from the USA to Canada.

So if I need to send urgent documents via some sort of express or priority option from an Asian country to the USA, should I choose DHL? For example, the foreign city's post office has a FedEx option, but there is an actual DHL storefront in the same city. I'm just curious what is the most reliable courier service for international packages from a foreign country to the USA.

• Like 1

So if I need to send urgent documents via some sort of express or priority option from an Asian country to the USA, should I choose DHL? For example, the foreign city's post office has a FedEx option, but there is an actual DHL storefront in the same city. I'm just curious what is the most reliable courier service for international packages from a foreign country to the USA.

Just like the others- I think it truly depends on the service of the actual place. We have had some crappy service with DHL. For awhile amazon was using them for some deliveries and there was some good screwups. I would do a search on the area to see if that service is the best for that area.

• Like 1

If I was the one doing the shipping, I would go to the DHL office and send it with them.   Realizing that they would probably turn it over to another company in the USA for Final Delivery. (they bought Airborne Express as I recall). So, unless the destination city in the USA is a major city where DHL has an office, they might turn it over to another company.  The post office you mentioned that has a FedEx option might turn it over to FedEx, in the origin city, and if the origin city is a major city (Tokyo, Seoul, Beijing, etc.) FedEx probably has direct or nonstop cargo jets going to the USA.   

Our Receiver/Forwarder in Miami always ships cargo to Colombia via ABX Air, which apparently was Airborne Express, before DHL bought Airborne Express.  I read that most of the cargo ABX handles is sent by DHL.  https://www.abxair.com/

Almost all of the experiences we have had, with various carriers, have been "Very Good" or "Excellent".  There was one horrible experience (do not remind my wife about this!) with FedEx, about 3 or 4 years ago. Our bank sent my new Debit card via FedEx and someone at FedEx coded it wrong and it went to the Republic of the Congo.  I watched, helplessly, on FedEx Tracking, as it went back and forth between Memphis and Paris, several times.  The same bank sent my new Debit card via FedEx this year and it came quickly, without any issues. 

If I would need to send Documents very quickly, to TTUISD in Lubbock, for example, I would either go to the nearest DHL office in the city of Cali, or I would have our Receiver/Forwarder pick them up from our house. I suspect they would send them up to Miami and then from there, they would be transferred to another carrier.

Any and all carriers have occasional screw ups, but usually they do a great job.  Probably either option available to you would be fine!

NOTE: Probably DHL would be the more expensive of the 2 options.

Just like the others- I think it truly depends on the service of the actual place. We have had some crappy service with DHL. For awhile amazon was using them for some deliveries and there was some good screwups. I would do a search on the area to see if that service is the best for that area.

Are you referring to packages sent via DHL, or via DHL GlobalMail, where the final mileage and the delivery are done by USPS?

OP this was for a Domestic envelope, within Colombia, but might be of interest to you, because of the Shipper and the Contents of the envelope.

In mid November 2015, the U.S. Embassy in Colombia returned my wife's passport, with her new U.S. Visa, via DHL.

• Like 1

Not the USPS one. Both the normal DHL service and the Global.

I am surprised to hear that happened with the true DHL service.  My understanding is that DHL GlobalMail is completely separate from DHL.  

That seems to be different with the FedEx SmartPost service. With that, I believe the packages go via the regular FedEx system, until (in our case with a Miami, FL Shipping Address) they get to Orlando and then are transferred to FedEx SmartPost in Orlando and then to the USPS in Orlando, for the last stage to Miami and then delivery.