Menu

9th grade Geography course help!

We are using the Geography text from Oak Meadow....got it for $8 on Amazon!  I ordered an inexpensive teacher guide & Student Syllabus from Oak Meadow and she is using the book list from Build Your Library for Literature....http://buildyourlibrary.com/multi-grade-teaching-an-example/

(She was taking the Online Literature class through Virtual Homeschool Group, but with her English class at Co-op....it was becoming too much writing.)

Dd is also notebooking through Geography instead of the projects in the Oak Meadow syllabus. (She completes her OM reading assignments with note-taking & answering the questions in student syllabus.) She is using a mix of BYL & Geo Scribe notebooking pages.  Along with her notebooking, she is watching Globe Trekker videos, current events, cooking, and art projects with siblings.  It's been great so far!  

She is also taking a mapping class through co-op.  

post-26810-0-30586600-1451933379_thumb.jpg

post-26810-0-56862500-1451933393_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

We are using the Geography text from Oak Meadow....got it for $8 on Amazon!  I ordered an inexpensive teacher guide & Student Syllabus from Oak Meadow and she is using the book list from Build Your Library for Literature....http://buildyourlibrary.com/multi-grade-teaching-an-example/

(She was taking the Online Literature class through Virtual Homeschool Group, but with her English class at Co-op....it was becoming too much writing.)

Dd is also notebooking through Geography instead of the projects in the Oak Meadow syllabus. (She completes her OM reading assignments with note-taking & answering the questions in student syllabus.) She is using a mix of BYL & Geo Scribe notebooking pages.  Along with her notebooking, she is watching Globe Trekker videos, current events, cooking, and art projects with siblings.  It's been great so far!  

Your DD's geography year sounds fantastic! Please tell her I love her notebooking pages. My DS is typically more get-er-done and shies away from "projects", but I bet I can get him to do that kind of notebooking. I may have to borrow that idea for next year. :) Thanks for sharing what you guys are doing!

• Like 3

Your DD's geography year sounds fantastic! Please tell her I love her notebooking pages. My DS is typically more get-er-done and shies away from "projects", but I bet I can get him to do that kind of notebooking. I may have to borrow that idea for next year. :) Thanks for sharing what you guys are doing!

Thank  you TarynB!  :grouphug:

• Like 1

We are using the Geography text from Oak Meadow....got it for $8 on Amazon! I ordered an inexpensive teacher guide & Student Syllabus from Oak Meadow and she is using the book list from Build Your Library for Literature....http://buildyourlibrary.com/multi-grade-teaching-an-example/

Dd is also notebooking through Geography instead of the projects in the Oak Meadow syllabus. (She completes her OM reading assignments with note-taking & answering the questions in student syllabus.) She is using a mix of BYL & Geo Scribe notebooking pages. Along with her notebooking, she is watching Globe Trekker videos, current events, cooking, and art projects with siblings. It's been great so far!

That sounds awesome !

• Like 1

What DS is doing....

TGC Human Geography lectures- we loved these I watched with him and we had discussions after.  

We are also using "Geography" by Daniel Arreola ipad book.  It's interactive has short auto graded quizzes and longer tests (I have him answer in the book as a "note"). 

We're wrapping up the Human Geography lectures as well. Loved them! 

Today I'm looking at Great Courses, Sacred Texts of the World and wondering if I can turn it into a geography course. 

:lurk5:

• Like 1

We're wrapping up the Human Geography lectures as well. Loved them! 

Today I'm looking at Great Courses, Sacred Texts of the World and wondering if I can turn it into a geography course. 

:lurk5:

I think you could.  Do some mapping, talk about how religion plays into the politics, education, economy of specific areas.  Also on TGCplus that might work is Customs of the World and maybe How the World Learns.... Of course the Great Tours, Guide to Italy and Understanding Japan could be picked over to pull out bits and pieces.  There are a lot of travel Docs on Youtube too.

ETA: Language and Society (only US is covered)

Edited by foxbridgeacademy
  • Like 2

I was thinking about doing North Star Geography and Mapping the World with Art combined. Is that overkill? She loves to draw and I think this would be just up her alley. And the North Star gives her the Cultural geography component I really wanted her to get as well.