Menu

Limes are ripe... any fantastic lime recipes?

This won't use up a lot of them, but it is the most delicious rice you'll ever make:

Chipotle's Basmati Rice Recipe

1 teaspoon vegetable oil or butter

2 tsp. fresh cilantro

2/3 cup white basmati rice (basmati rice is required from what I understand--I've never used another)

1 cup water

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 Lime

In a 2-quart heavy saucepan, heat oil or butter over low heat, stirring occasionally until melted. Add rice and lime juice, stir for 1 minute. Add water and salt, bring to a full rolling boil. At boiling, cover, turn down to simmer over low heat until rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork.

I have two huge lime trees in our new backyard that are full of ripe limes. What the heck do I do with all these (other than let them drop and throw them away!)?

Well, it's not a vegetarian recipe (and iirc, your family is vegetarian?), but we love "Persian Lime Chicken."

Basically, you marinate (overnight, or a day or so) chicken in lime juice, turmeric, onions, grape tomatoes, garlic. Then grill the chicken, onions, and tomatoes.

Serve with lavash bread and melted butter mixed with more lime juice (to drizzle over the grilled chicken). Sort of middle Easternish, so I serve with basmati rice with raisins/almonds, tzatziki, fruit salad.

I've actually started eating meat again after 20 years as a vegetarian. Shocking, I know!

I'll try the chicken... how is the garlic prepared--whole? Crushed?

Wow! What prompted the change (if you would like to share)?

The recipe is VERY forgiving (imo), so ... crushed garlic, garlic powder (gasp), smooshed garlic, garlic paste ... whatever you have on hand. I usually used minced or crushed. White onions, yellow onions, purple onions. I think when I originally read this recipe, the author said she used chicken wings / drumettes (I use chicken breast...) and kept some in her fridge marianating at all times - so it can marianate for quite a while, too....

I've used pita bread or naan when good lavash bread isn't available, and skip the tomatoes (but never the onions).

It does take a fair amount of lime juice, although I suppose you could just keep flipping the chicken around in a ziploc bag, and use less lime juice.

(You can tell I don't really color inside the lines very well....)

Wow! What prompted the change (if you would like to share)?

Well... I'd been vegetarian for 20 years, since my freshman year in college. I used to be very passionate about it, but I realized that while I still was happy being vegetarian, I had lost some of my zeal over the years. My dh is a meat eater, a very traditional food type person.

Then it hit me: I was making two meals every night. A meal for my dh and my oldest son, a meal for me, and my youngest would pick and choose. It just hit me how much energy it was taking--extra meal planning, additional cooking time, etc. I hadn't ever really thought about it before, but I work a lot of hours, try to be home as much as possible for school and family time, and something had to give. I decided that since my dh was not interested (and never would be) in being vegetarian, and since my priorities had changed, I'd start eating meat again.

My dh would NEVER have wanted me to give up anything important to me, so I actually did it in secret. I spent a couple of weeks thinking about it, praying about it, and eventually went off on my own at lunchtime and tried a beef taco. After a couple of days of trying (and assuring myself that I would switch back if I had any misgivings) I announced to my dh that I was eating meat. It blew him away--I'd been vegetarian long before I met him at age 19.

Anyhow, that's the story. Part of me thinks it's just a mid-life crisis sort of thing (I'll be 38 in November)... but at least it's cheap, easy and legal, right? So far, I've come to like many meat dishes. I don't seem to like steak or shrimp or some fast food type burgers, but it has been fun trying "new" foods that I had totally forgotten or never had before. And I do have to admit--meal planning and cooking is much, MUCH easier now that we all eat the same thing.

My Dh's Honey Lime Dressing!

3 parts canola oil

2 parts honey

1 part fresh lime juice

and maybe 1 lime worth of zest

Blend in the blender or electric mixer to thoroughly emulsify.

This is so good. You can obviously adjust this recipe for any amount.

We eat this with our salads, in wraps, or just for dipping with good bread.

A trick with limes that I learned while I lived in Mexico....Squeeze them on everything.

Cut up fruit, sprinkle with chili powder ~ squeeze with lime.

Make popcorn, sprinke with chili powder ~ squeeze with lime.

Tacos ~ Squeeze with lime.

Avocado and tomatos, sprinke with chili powder ~ squeezw with lime.

Potato chips, sprinke with chili powder ~ squeeze with lime.

Hominy, sprinkle with chili powder ~ squeeze with lime.

Soup, sprinkle with chili powder ~ squeeze with lime.

You name it, sprinkle with chili powder ~ squeeze with lime.

Personally, I frequently skip the chili powder, but at times it sounds good.

A trick with limes that I learned while I lived in Mexico....Squeeze them on everything.

Oh yeah..good on grilled corn on the cob. Mild chili powder and lime on wedges of peeled jicama.

Also, you can juice them, freeze them in ice cube trays, pop out the cubes and put in freezer bags. Pull one out with you need a tablespoon for guac, etc.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Can you squeeze them and freeze the juice in wide mouth canning jars with the plastic screw on lids? You could use the frozen juice to make limeade, sorbet, and in place of lemon juice in baking recipes.

ETA:What would also be great is if you could dry grated lime peel for use in baking. You could also make lime marmalade to give as gifts. :-)

Yes M'am

1 - shot tequila

1 - slice lime

take shot, suck lime, repeat

:D[/quote}

I honestly didn't think I could laugh this hard today.

THANK YOU!

:D:lol:

Make it good tequila, though. I'm particularly fond of two brands I can't remember the names of, off the top of my head. MamaLynx's dh knows which ones they are, though. ;)

I have two huge lime trees in our new backyard that are full of ripe limes. What the heck do I do with all these

Ooo - here's another fave from my childhood, when my friend and I would get the bus driver to let us off by the Middle Eastern restaurant, and we'd get cherry limeades and walk 5-6 blocks to our piano lessons. Wow. Talk about remembrance of things past!

Juice the limes, add grenadine and water (and maybe sugar, if the cherry syrup isn't sweet enough) and serve over crushed ice.