Menu

Suggestions for online English for 9th+

I think we need to outsource English & Lit or it won't happen.

DS13 will be in 9th next year.  We've not done a lot in this area - we had intentions to do BraveWriter or FLL or whatever...but it didn't happen.  I feel badly, but it is what it is.

He's done grammar (EasyGrammar series), Vocab (WW), Spelling and writes regularly as part of history (currently HotAW 'study-guide' questions) and logic...but that's not the same.  He's a prolific reader, but again..that's not the same as a good Lit course.

Despite this, he's actually a decent writer.  He's naturally fairly linguistically oriented, but of course rather untrained at this point.

I'm not sure where to start.  A CC course would bury him.  We're not part of an umbrella org and I'd rather not be. 

We could customize it and do something different every year, but he very much likes to know what to expect so something that would cover him for all of HS english would be better.

Suggestions??

Have you considered Brave Writer online courses? If your son is a natural writer, perhaps one class a quarter?  For basics, depending upon his skill level, perhaps Kidswrite Intermediate or Expository Essay?  My DD is 13 (8th grade this year), is a natural writer, and will be doing Kidswrite Intermediate next term (well, this term now, I guess.)  She has done a number of classes through Brave Writer, and we have been uniformly pleased.  Susanne Barrett teaches literary analysis-DD has taken 2 Shakespeare classes from her-and we both think Susanne is fabulous.

• Like 1

Brave Writer works well at our house. My 9th grader is enrolled in the Boomerang Book Club for the year. In the fall, she did Expository Essay after having done KIdsWrite Intermediate last Spring. This Spring she is going to do Literary Analysis-Shakespeare. My oldest did High School Writing project the spring semester her 9th grade year. We added Wiston Grammar and Editor in Chief for grammar and called it good.

Sarah

• Like 1

My teen will be using The Potter's School.  They get pretty good reviews, have very high standards, and the syllabus looks excellent.  Some teachers of course are more interesting and likable than others, but I feel that my teen needs to learn to deal with a variety of personalities, requirements and likableness to be prepared for college.  

So, almost all his courses will be with TPS...

T is enjoying her Ancient Literature class at Landry. If you haven't done much essay writing, I'd start with English IV (it uses Michael Clay Thompson materials and covers 8 books for literature) or the Intermediate Writing Class (it uses Jensen's Format Writing). The Ancient Lit class reads the Iliad and the Odyssey the first semester and then does the Oresteia, Oedipus Rex, some Aristophanes, the Aeneid, some Aristotle and Cicero. Landry offers a lot of different lit classes. You can choose from a traditional sequence, classical sequence or thematic classes. Some of the traditional and thematic classes also cover nonfiction texts.

Landry is very expensive unless you buy there generic semesters when they are on sale. There is also an active market in generic credits on their parents' board.