Menu

Parenthood (the show)

PeacefulChaos

Ok this is so dumb to me. I'm in season 3.

No roommate, because like every other character in the show for 6 seasons, she virtually had no friends.  ;)

Sydney and Haddie were the worst.  Awful, awful characters. 

I didn't love Amber, either but she at least was the product of her train wreck mother.  My dd used to laugh because when they came on screen I would say "look, it is train wreck and train wreck, jr."  You couldn't look away.  Their personal lives were total hot messes.

So, to answer your question, no, we were not supposed to like any of them.

I disliked Haddie so much. And Sydney was just horrible.  I didn't like Amber in the beginning, but by the time she was with Ryan, we adored her.  In fact, she became my favorite character for the rest of the whole show.  I loved her, and I could relate to a lot of her bad choices.  Sarah was the worst, although she mellowed out in the end, and I began liking her too.

Since I last posted I've now watched the whole thing. It was streaming on Netflix and I just kept watching the episodes without keeping track of seasons. I didn't realize I was watching the last episode until about 5 minutes from the end and I was NOT expecting *that* to happen!! Tears.

I loved all of it. I'm glad I watched it. I agree that Sydney was annoying. (And I was right that Joel was weak. He just was. He was totally in the wrong.)

Joel. I wanted to like him so much. He was such a good dad in the beginning.  And the actress who plays Julia was so beautiful.  Yes, it's tv-land, and I was rooting for the pretty girl.

• Like 1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may have forgotten about Amber when I made my post about the girls on the show. I don't mind Amber. I think she makes really stupid choices. That apartment for example... LOL I can't believe it made it past one episode. I don't hate Haddie every scene, but I thought overall her demeanor/tone with her parents was just I dunno, disrespectful? B*tchy? She is okay sometimes.

I've been trying to watch the show tonight but the weather sucks and our internet keeps going out grr

It's interesting that so many people hate Haddie. But "disrespectful" isn't a parent trigger for me from kids... I thought her teenage rebellion arc was pretty realistic. I thought it was a little too bad that her college ending was so tacked on - it felt like, okay, this isn't unrealistic, just abrupt because we haven't seen her in so long. It'd be nice if it could get a little more fleshed out, but... whatever, I guess.

• Like 2

Finally finished.

I guess I'll put spoiler tags on this post since it's mainly about the finale/last season

How many years did we fast forward? Did Amber settle down with some guy and have a baby girl? Then Ryan showed up with her first child? Joel and Julia got back together, adopted Victor's half sister, AND had a baby?! Or adopted another? WHAT??? Sorry, but I felt that was over the top for that time frame. Someone on imdb mentioned Crosby and Jasmine having another on the way... I must have missed that. Maybe Jasmine was pregnant in the finale? I will have to rewatch. I saw Amber holding one of Crosby's kids, but I assumed that was Aida.

Zeek and Camille's new home. WHAT?! I thought they were going to downsize to a condo? Not get another two story house. What the what?

Julie and Joel. The pacing was terrible. The storyline was pretty bad. And maybe because I binged watched but it sure didn't feel like Julia's lines about "waiting around on Joel for a year" were right. She was in the sack with two guys before I knew it. And why didn't she ever bring up his spending too much time with the mom from the playgroup? Maybe they could have agreed they both didn't make the best choices since in both cases it led to a kiss, right? Joel didn't kiss back as I understand, but I am just drawing some similarities. They both drove me nuts the last couple of seasons. Like, where is this income for the apt, anyway? So let me get this straight... married people shouldn't kiss another person but separated (still married) can? I just can't get on board with this thinking. And separated or single... dating the coworker was kinda dumb career-wise.

The academy -- I thought that teacher was going to be headmaster? Then all of a sudden it was Kristine Braverman. Huh? And why didn't they consider homeschooling? Max apparently liked it and got his work done. I think they were just desperate to make him interact with others. I don't know how charter schools work, but wouldn't it be a conflict of interest for that guy from the school to advocate/help the charter school?

Why didn't they replace the behavioral aid? Were there really none available? they just gave up. Seasons went by and they didn't even look for one. Seems like Max needed an outside party to set boundaries since his parents sugar coated everything and even praised him for socially unacceptable behavior. I get that they were trying to focus on the positive, but they way they handled the Dylan thing was terrible. And did no one else work there? lol It was like it was all up to the Braverman's to intervene but really there should have been a third party like a teacher to witness these things?

I'm glad Amber had somewhere to move, but really, she should have moved out of that apt. a loooong time ago. She was barely making ends meet.

I guess Drew continued to major in economics?

Sorry, not a fan of Sarah's wedding dress Lol. Oh well, she looked happy and it was a sweet day. This isn't meant as an attack on the actress, just the wardrobe dept.

I'm glad I watched this show.

• Like 2