Menu

Arabic tutor. How much to a family member for Skype tutoring.

My BIL offered to teach DD14 Arabic via Skype. I'd like to pay him, but I'm not sure what to pay him. He is obviously fluent (from Iraq) and is relatively fluent in English as well (struggles occasionally, but mostly with things like inflection), but has never tutored before. He is only teaching conversation and speaking - I want this to be enjoyable for DD and it likely will not count as a credit. As a dyslexic, she struggles enough with written ENGLISH - I don't think she could handle anything more than conversational Arabic.

I'm not sure what to offer him, though. I know him and my sister are struggling, and the time he can tutor will likely vary, since he also owns and runs a body shop (which is still in the baby stages of being a new business), so maybe a "per session" rate instead of a flat "per year" rate? What is the going rate for things like this and what is taken into account when determining how much to pay a tutor? He DOES teach it well - he's teaching my nephew - and he's a ton of fun.

Edited by AimeeM

I know math is very different, so take this for what it's worth, but I charge $35 for an hour of math tutoring. And I live in NE, where the cost of living is relatively low. There are undergrads near me who do it for $15-20, but they don't have a phd and 15 years of experience, if that helps you put tutoring prices in perspective at all?

I know math is very different, so take this for what it's worth, but I charge $35 for an hour of math tutoring. And I live in NE, where the cost of living is relatively low. There are undergrads near me who do it for $15-20, but they don't have a phd and 15 years of experience, if that helps you put tutoring prices in perspective at all?

That does put it into perspective. It sounds like $20 per session would be fair for this situation.

Totally off topic, but do you tutor math via Skype? Lol. 

That does put it into perspective. It sounds like $20 per session would be fair for this situation.

Totally off topic, but do you tutor math via Skype? Lol. 

I've never tried. I always experience a slight lag on skype, and I would've thought that'd make tutoring on it challenging. Plus, I do so much interactive (rather than lecture style) where I have them start problems, and then I teach as we work the problem, that I don't know how that'd work over skype, unless it has a scratch pad that is really easy to use... I've actually never thought about it! :)