Menu

Merit aid and Acceptance letters

TheApprentice

My friend's son applied EA to a few schools, as did my son, and all included merit aid amounts in his acceptance letters. None were mentioned in my ds's letters (3 schools). Should I assume anything because of this? Looking at other forums, students are getting financial information in the acceptance letters. What's going on?

I think whether or not merit aid is included in the acceptance letter is going to depend on the school. Case Western includes merit awards in the acceptance letter, but other schools do not. I would research the schools on College Confidential and see if other kids are mentioning getting merit awards included in the acceptance letter.

Good luck!

My friend's son applied EA to a few schools, as did my son, and all included merit aid amounts in his acceptance letters. None were mentioned in my ds's letters (3 schools). Should I assume anything because of this? Looking at other forums, students are getting financial information in the acceptance letters. What's going on?

On other forums, were students getting financial/merit aid information from the same schools your son applied to? Or different schools? If same schools, it sounds like it warrants an enquiring phone call.

DDs two official acceptances came without financial/merit aid. The acceptance was first - then a few weeks later the merit/scholarship letters arrived.

For two unis dd has applied to, I know that the merit aid information will come with the acceptance packet if/when they finally arrive. One has an automatic-qualifying scholarship, and the other, we are all in suspense as to what she will qualify for... I just know it will arrive with the acceptance packet. :)

Some schools had an EA deadline of Dec 1, but a scholarship deadline of December 15 (or even later), so they wait to have the Regular Decision kids in the applicant pool before doling out scholarship award $$.

Our acceptances have been a variety.  One, a state uni, first sent an acceptance, then an automatic scholarship, then an invitation to compete for full ride.  One of the privates sent scholarship information with acceptance, and the other sent an invitation to apply for scholarships a couple of weeks after the acceptance.

DD has received some acceptance letters containing merit scholarship offers (Case Western Reserve, Butler, Xavier) and a couple where scholarship offers came separate/later (Hope, and a couple local/regional schools). Still waiting on 2 applications. So, I agree with others that you shouldn't necessarily assume they aren't coming.