Menu

Watercolor or Oil Painting books

UCF612

My dad is retired now and the only hobby he really has is painting.  He's mostly into watercolors and oils.   He has 2 watercolor books on his Amazon wishlist but both are Kindle editions.  I'd like him to have something to actually open on Christmas morning (in addition to those books arriving on his Kindle).  Any recommendations for actual hardcopy books he might like?  I'm not a painter at all so I have no idea what is worth it! 

Are you looking for instructional books that teach composition, technique, etc. or inspirational books that showcase a certain artist, style of painting, or a museum collection? 

Many modern-day working artists have websites, and videos, and books...here's an example of one...(I'm in no way connected with that particular artist, just one that came to mind..)

Another modern day artist with a cool blog (and not too expensive books) is James Gurney...http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1

I have painted for years, so I might be able to help you, but it would be much easier if you posted the two Kindle books he wants so I can see what style of watercolor painting he likes.

I collect painting books, particularly watercolor books, so I think I might be able to help. :)

• Like 1

My dad is retired now and the only hobby he really has is painting.  He's mostly into watercolors and oils.   He has 2 watercolor books on his Amazon wishlist but both are Kindle editions.  I'd like him to have something to actually open on Christmas morning (in addition to those books arriving on his Kindle).  Any recommendations for actual hardcopy books he might like?  I'm not a painter at all so I have no idea what is worth it! 

My dad took up painting when Mom died.  He started by taking classes at Parks and Rec.  His teacher recommended this book for him and he really enjoys it:

The Big Book of Painting Nature in Oil

Schaeffer, S. Allyn

His favorite things to paint are landscapes and animals.  He often uses a photograph and paints it.  I just pulled up his wishlist to list the 2 books he asked for and both are gone from his list.  He's added 7 new things, actual physical things!!! Woohoo!!   The Big Book of Painting Nature in Oil looks great, I'm going to get that in addition to some of the things on his list.  Thank you all!

• Like 1