Menu

Visa payment with PayPal?

Night Elf

I won an auction and was sent a link to pay. It used the PayPal service. First it asked if I wanted to pay either with PayPal or a credit card. I tried just my credit card without logging into PayPal. It wouldn't take my Visa. So I used their link to log into PayPal and had to update my same Visa card and tried making the payment. It didn't acknowledge it so I didn't think it went through. I went back to the auction payment page that asked how I wanted to pay for it. I chose the credit card option and put in a different Visa number. It took that one and said I had paid and showed a $0 balance.

So I go to my email and I have two emails from service@paypal. Inside they look different. I can't tell if I got two emails from one payment, or if I paid twice, once with my Visa in PayPal, and once with my other Visa card. So I went to my PayPal account to see the activity. It said my account was limited but I was able to navigate past that screen to see my account. No activity shows so it doesn't appear that I made any payments through PayPal.

What do you think? Why do I have two emails thanking me for my payment? I tried contacting the email of the person in charge of the auction asking if they can tell if I've made two payments, but this is a college choir and I don't know if they check that email. I see no payment activity on either of my Visa accounts yet. It's too early.

• Like 1

I would log directly into my paypal account, and look at payments made.  that will give detalis descriptions -including amounts.  then you can tell if you paid twice.  the seller for both would be the same - even if it processed two payments.

• Like 3

I would log directly into my paypal account, and look at payments made.  that will give detalis descriptions -including amounts.  then you can tell if you paid twice.  the seller for both would be the same - even if it processed two payments.

I did that and I don't see any activity in my account since 2013. Their payment page was just so confusing. I think it was a paypal service whether I logged in to the paypal account, or chose the credit card payment. So I don't know if the credit card one would show up. I used one Visa in my paypal account and a different Visa on the credit card payment. I'm positive the credit card payment, without being logged into paypal, went through because it acknowledged the payment immediately. It showed my balance owed as zero dollars. I got an email from paypal saying the payment went through, so it seems that even though I wasn't logged into paypal, it went through their service somehow. But that doesn't show up on my paypal account. *sigh* I don't know why it has to be so confusing. All I wanted to do was support a family friend's college choir. I haven't called the Visa companies yet. I think DH needs to do one of them because the account is in his name. I'll figure it out.

• Like 1

PayPal is the normal way to pay for things on eBay. I believe until very recently PayPal and eBay were owned by the same company and that they spun one of the companies off.  I always pay with funds from my PayPal account, so have no experience paying with a credit card. If the credit card(s) are in the name of your DH, he should contact the issuing bank, and if you did pay twice, you will get that straightened out with PayPal and the bank(s).  Before he calls, he should look online as someone suggested, to see if there are any Pending Charges for the transaction(s) you mentioned.

I won an eBay auction the night of December 5th.  The first email I got was an email from eBay, notifying me that I'd won the auction, and asking me to pay. I paid, about 25 minutes later, and then I got another email from eBay, confirming the sale.  I believe I also got an email that was a receipt for the payment, from PayPal, after I paid.  (That laptop is in MIA (Miami International Airport) as I write this, waiting for space on a cargo jet going to Colombia).

You are actually *much* safer paying via PayPal, because the Sellers (on eBay or elsewhere) do not have your personal information. That information is held by PayPal. The Seller only gets your Shipping Address and the phone number of the Receiver.

GL with what you won in the auction!