Menu

Transportable Christmas dinner ideas?

Tree Frog

I'm looking for Christmas dinner ideas that can be made ahead and easily transported.

Background: MIL lives in our city, but doesn't leave her assisted living apartment. She moved here in May, had a stint in the hospital in September, nearly died, was put on hospice, and wasn't expected to make it to Thanksgiving. She is still going (somewhat) strong and we would like to celebrate Christmas dinner with her in one of the social rooms in her assisted living facility. This is likely going to be her last Christmas. We took Thanksgiving dinner to MIL - the turkey, mashed potatoes, salads (2 types due to allergies), veggies, rolls, stuffing (2 types due to allergies), and desserts to her the Friday after Thanksgiving because her other son/wife arrived Thanksgiving day. It took me many days to organize, prepare all the food, including the allergy modifications, and transport it. My 2 daughters, son, and DH helped, as did my SIL after she arrived, but I don't want to spend that much time cooking on Christmas eve/Day to take such a large meal to her. 

So I'm looking for something, possibly a casserole, that I can make ahead, cook or reheat Christmas morning, and take to her. She has wheat/peanut/soy allergies, so I'm looking for something that doesn't contain those items, especially wheat. I have 3 crockpots (2 large and one smaller) I can use, but would rather have everything contained in one dish. I was thinking of something like a sheperd's pie, made with either beef or chicken instead of lamb. Any other ideas/suggestions for a fancier main dish that transports well?

Another vote for ham and cheesy or scalloped potatoes, but then That is our standard for Christmas dinner.

Any kind of salad that is quick. Vegetables and rolls, plate of cookies and some festive ice cream would be easy.

Alternatively, bake the ham and bring rolls and have sandwiches .

Edited to add, pre seasoned pork loin with the same sides as mentioned above .

You can make mashed potatoes ahead and freeze them if you want to do the, this week. Or just early in the week,of Christmas . Store them in the fridge and bake with the pork,loin or ham.

Ham could be baked ahead of time, sliced and reheated in crockpot Christmas morning.

Edited by KatieinMich