Menu

Help me make picture flashcards

Ds is in Young Marines. He's having a hard time with the jargon, so I started making flashcards (he does great when asked to point to a picture). 

I've made a ton of easy cards. They're easy because they're physical things; hatch, rack, head, etc. 

I'm having a much harder time with the action type terms; carry on, aye aye sir, Esprit de Corps, etc. 

Anyone good at this? I can list the rest of the terms we need.

No I'm not any good with that. It's a really good idea. I'm bookmarking this thread lol.

I would probably go to the marines official site.

I know army terms. They are different things with each branch.

Don't learn an army term tho! Lol

Army an marine s love go rag each other. He'd probably hear about it in some way lol.

That's what I would do.

Is this like a marine version of ROTC? Is he a highschowr or younger or older?

Edited by Kat w

Try here:

https://www.archives.gov/research/military/ww2/photos/images/thumbnails/

http://www.defense.gov/Media/Photo-Gallery

Many government images are copyright free- because your taxes paid for them.  NASA and the parks system have some awesome stuff.  Check the copyright policy for each site though.  

Edited by MomatHWTK
  • Like 1

You can make flashcards in quizlet with pictures.  Quizlet will even read the cards, so you can hear the words correctly pronounced.   :D

Another option would be a video or slideshow or powerpoint.  Add music, make it fun, weave them into a story, poem or rap...

Edited by OhElizabeth

anki is also nice for pictures - and brings cards back up based on how well you know it (based on your clicking buttons to tell it).

However I would say that actions and feelings (Esprit de Corps) are actually harder to use pictures for than physical things.    Especially more complicated actions/feeling such as these ones.   If you do decide to use pictures for these more complicated things, my understanding is it's always best to have the person trying to do the remembering involved in picking the picture out.

• Like 1