Menu

I'm planning for next year....

• 2 weeks later...

My DS11 already expanded his spring semester plan with adding on an AoPS Python class and wanting a chem class somewhere :lol: Hubby says as long as we can afford to just go for it.

I want to put my kids in drama (english literature) class. Still looking. DS11 enjoyed a private high school teacher's literature class during an informal open house. A parent visitor said he does tutoring so that could be an option.

• Like 1

My DS11 already expanded his spring semester plan with adding on an AoPS Python class and wanting a chem class somewhere :lol: Hubby says as long as we can afford to just go for it.

I want to put my kids in drama (english literature) class. Still looking. DS11 enjoyed a private high school teacher's literature class during an informal open house. A parent visitor said he does tutoring so that could be an option.

Does it have to be live? If online is okay, I have heard only good reviews of Roy Speed's Shakespeare classes.

• Like 1

Does it have to be live? If online is okay, I have heard only good reviews of Roy Speed's Shakespeare classes.

He doesn't like to talk if online so it has to be text based. If he in B&M class, he forgets and joins in the spontaneous discussions that is teacher moderated. He enjoys discussing literature actually (as long as it is not for exam).

That kind of limits our choices a little.

• Like 1

I'm totally confused now-not just for next year, but for next semester. I don't know what DD needs at this point. Ugh.

If it is any consolation, this was the age where I just didn't know what was going to happen too. That 10-11+ in between stage is just so, so difficult to plan for. Some things are way too easy, some way too hard, and some probably very do-able but you just don't know if they should or if it is pushing or what. With some things, they do the pulling and it's a little easier but also nerve-wracking because you just can't see where it's going to lead, OR you CAN see where it's going to lead and you worry that either you or they or both are not ready or some age-based restriction is in place or it's too expensive or it's not the right place right now or something else.

I just hated the waiting and seeing but that's what I had to do and really, really, it works itself out. It really does. It takes some faith and trusting and letting go and also holding onto tight. Yes, some pushing too (but not necessarily the aggressive kind) and a lot of talking and comforting and hugging and maybe even a little fighting.

Two years later, it's become so much clearer. I feel much more confidence about what to do. Best of all, the kid who was previously not sure about his place in this world is finding his place. It happens.

I can't give specifics right now but if anyone reading this needs a ear, I can chat via PM. :grouphug:

• Like 4

He doesn't like to talk if online so it has to be text based. If he in B&M class, he forgets and joins in the spontaneous discussions that is teacher moderated. He enjoys discussing literature actually (as long as it is not for exam).

That kind of limits our choices a little.

Just a note to let you know that in my Shakespeare classes, the form of each student's participation level is up to the student. During our discussions of Shakespeare, many students weigh in primarily via the chat; others hang back and watch or listen; and others simply must speak and request that I open their microphones, which I do. — It's all very lively, yet no one is put on the spot.

Also, the quizzes for my Shakespeare courses are administered by the parent, and in whatever manner suits that family's homeschooling (open-book or closed-book, graded or not).

You can find more information here: Romeo & Juliet. Also, I'm easy to reach at info (at) hscollegebound.com.

Good luck.

• Like 3

Just a note to let you know that in my Shakespeare classes, the form of each student's participation level is up to the student. During our discussions of Shakespeare, many students weigh in primarily via the chat; others hang back and watch or listen; and others simply must speak and request that I open their microphones, which I do. — It's all very lively, yet no one is put on the spot.

Thats good to know. Some class teachers had kids taking turns on the microphone and he hates it. As long as it is optional, we are good for both my kids :)

ETA:

We are tied up on Wednesdays for next term so we would have to KIV for another term.

Edited by Arcadia